Ch. 23 - plan gone wrong

____________________________________________________________________________

I gripped onto the strap of my backpack as we walked together towards our home. I still don't know what has happened to me. Why my heart is feeling his way. I've never felt this before.

"Oy," Natsu called, making me flinch. "How can I talk to you when you're walking at such a distance?"

He made an annoyed face when I was walking 8 inches ahead of him. I didn't stop and continued at that pace. “Lucy!” he called. I could notice what he was trying to do--make me listen to him. But I didn't and continued on.

As I was continuing to move on forward, I had realized he stopped. “If you don't walk with me right now, I'm going to call you wifey in public from now on.”

I had stopped. Feeling my cheeks fluster in embarrassment. I turned around, looking red. “Y--You wouldn't.”

“Oh, but I would.” he smirked.

Right when we started walking at the right pace, he sighs. “So? Mind telling me what was going on with you earlier?”

“Uh, I--I, uh,” I hesitated in answering him so, an idea popped into my mind. “I--I had... a girl's day.” I lied. I had to. I don't want to tell him unnecessary things.

His eyebrows furrowed. “What's a girl's day?” he emphasized the word to make sure I get him right. Then, he blushed, looking away. “O--Oh, t--that's what you were obsessed about all this time?”

I blushed, slowly nodding at his question. He sighed in relief, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into a side hug. “I was worried about ya all day. I'm so relieved it's not something serious.”

Feeling my cheeks burn and fluster even more, I escaped from his hug and coughed. “S--So, uh, what about you talking to Lisanna?”

He shrugged. “I'm gonna tell her tomorrow. Flatly reject her.”

“No!” I contradicted. “Natsu, if a girl confesses, never reject her feelings.” I told him.

“But, if I don't, I'm just keeping her hopes up for nothing. I mean, my parents always told me to tell the truth and not deceive girls or... something.” he explained.

What am I going to do? I don't want Lisanna to be hurt. Or Lisanna to hate me or Natsu.

An idea popped into my head. I smacked my fist on the other palm of my hand and smiled. “I got it! A plan just cooked inside my mind.”

I turn to Natsu with a huge smile. “I don't know if this will work but, maybe if we pretend to be lovey-doveying over each other, Lisanna will understand and won't bother you again.”

Natsu tapped his chin then looked at me in a weird way. “Wait. I thought we were gonna keep low-profile?”

“That's why I said 'pretend'.” I snapped.

“But, wouldn't the others see our relationship and eventually spread throughout the school?”

Oh, dammit. He's right. Ugh. How could I forget that?

“But--” I cut myself with a sigh. “Well, I don't have any ideas but I certainly don't advise you to reject a girls feelings.”

He looked up and stared at the sky for a moment. “What am I gonna do? I don't like her. I don't know anything about her. I certainly don't want to go out with someone who just confessed. I already am married.”

My heart started beating rapidly again. “W--What's with the drama?”

He snapped his fingers. “Yep! I know what I'm going to say.” he rested his head by the support of his arms behind it as we walked.

“What is your plan?” I asked as I started walking along with his pace.

“It's a secret.” he winked, wearing a huge smug on his face.

I pouted. “Moh. Why won't you tell?”

“You figure it out.”

“Oh, whatever. I give up. Why did I even bother asking such a question I knew you wouldn't answer?”

“Because you're my wifey. And wifey is jealous?” Natsu said in a joking way.

“You have to be kidding me!”

____________________________________________________________________________

the next day . . .

     Natsu's P.O.V.

After Luce got to her friends, I went to my shoe locker. Opening it, a letter fell. I opened and saw Lisanna's name.

Please meet me at the rooftop when you have the time.
~Lisanna

Taking a deep breath, I thought long and hard about the plan I'm going to do. “This is it. This is what you practiced.”

Not wasting a single second, I rushed up to the rooftop and saw Lisanna staring down on the ground floor from the roof. I took a deep breath then, walked over next to her side.

“Lisanna, I--”

“Natsu, I--”

When we realized we had talked at the same time, I let her talk first. So, she did. She takes a deep breath with her eyes closed. “I... I know you don't like me. Things got too fast. I confessed without you knowing me. But,” she turned and looked at me. “I still love you, Natsu.”

I gulped, unable to resist tears running down on her cheeks. “L--Lisanna.”

“I know you think it's stupis but, I still want to keep trying my best so someday, maybe you can feel the same way.” she looks away with a blush on her face. Tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

I gulped again, not knowing what I can reply back to her. Scratching the back of my neck, I keep avoiding her glances. “What was it?” she asked.

“What was what?”

“What were you about to tell me?”

“Oh, um, well, I,” I cleared my throat. “To tell you the truth, I can't accept your feelings.”

“I know.”

“Because I don't know you that well and... I'm not interested in dating right now.”

She nods. “I--I see your point.” she breathed in a disappointed way. “Because you're dating Lucy now, isn't it?”

My eyes widened. I shook my head rapidly so she wouldn't misunderstand. “NO! No.”

Her eyes widened in surprise. “Eh? But... you told me--”

“W--ell, I mean, things are complicated. What I told you, when I told you that, I actually just liked her. I didn't... date her. I haven't.”

She sighs in relief. “I--I understand. Thanks for giving me this chance.” she smiled as sweetly as she could. “I'll give it my all and make you look at me affectionately someday.”

What have I gotten myself into?! This is not the way I planned this. . .