Ch. 49 - My second kiss

Lucy's POV

DARKNESS. That was all I could see everywhere. Nothing beyond, nothing to see. What happened while I was fighting? All I could ever remember was falling in--wait. Is this heaven? I never imagined this to be pitch black. I expected it to be much more lighter.

"Lucy!"

"Lucy!"

"Ms. Heartfilia?!"

"Luce..!"

My eyes widened when I heard his voice. Natsu?

"Luce!!"

Something inside me felt relieved when my wish came true and that was to hear his voice once again. He kept caloing my name but, I don't feel anything. I drowned and remembered nothing after it.

I suddenly felt my finger twitch instinctively. It changed the atmosphere somehow. The voices I heard changed their tones.

My eyes slowly opened. And as they opened, I felt a stinging pain in the eyes seeing the sunlight. The sun was removed when someone lifted me up. When my eyes were opened fully, I saw Natsu hugging me. I felt the tightness of his grip in the hug and appreciated it. Out of the blue, I hugged him back, hearing everybody surrounding us cheer.

"W... What happened...?" I stammered.

Natsu puller away from me, his eyes never leaving mine as he squeezed my arms. "Luce... I... I thought I lost you."

I felt my cheeks burn all of a sudden. But, I didn't bother to look away. His eyes were tearing up. He was sincere. His words were true and very heartfelt. I couldn't help but cry. "N... Natsu...!" as I was just about to hug him back, everyone cheered when Principal Mavis announced Natsu's act of heroism and raised his arm with a smile.

"Note, chicken fights are now forbidden for people who cannot swim." Erza muttered under her breath as she jotted that down on her notepad.

I raised a hand up, "Erza! I-It's really fine!" I reassured her.

"Iyah! It is not enough to satisfy my fault. If you may... please punish me now!" Erza pleaded as she handed me her wooden sword.

My eyes widened at her action. "I'm not punishing anyone here. Where'd this sword come from anyway?"

Erza grabbed the sword back when she was called by Mira-san. Just then, a hug from my back came, revealing it was Levy. "Lu-chan! I-I hate myself! How can I be your bestfriend if I can't even save your life?!" she started sniffling on my shoulder.

I quickly hugged her back and, kept on patting her on the head. "Levy, don't say that. I'm fine now and that's enough."

She wiped the tears falling from her eyes and let her lips shiver. "Y-You really mean it?"

Right at the time when I nodded, she breathes out in relief. "I'm... just so glad. You're still alive. You almost gave me a heart attack! Good thing Natsu was here to save you."

My eyes widened at her statement. "S-Say that again, will you?" she coughed, raising a finger as she stated, "Nat-su-saved-you."

Instinctively, I looked in his direction where he was being praised by the principal as he kept pretending to become modest when he really felt confident. There was one point when he eventually stared back at me then looked away, showing a slight hint of blush rising to both of his cheeks.