Chapter 20: The Sand Shinobi

I blinked my eyes open slowly and looked at the clock next to Naruto's bed, it read five thirty in the morning. I got up quietly and slipped in the washroom to dress. I zipped the zipper up on my back and stepped out to roll up my sleeping bag.

"Wake up, Naruto, we have a mission today," I shook him lightly.

He got up obediently and stretched, "Morning," he grumbled, crawling out of bed.

I went into the kitchen and prepared our breakfast. I heard the flush of a toilet and the rush of water from the tap. Naruto came out of the washroom, with his forehead protector strapped tightly to his head.

"Hey! Where's yours?" he asked.

"Oh, u-um I-I left it at Liz's place," I covered, I was actually pretty sure that it was still with Sasuke.

"Oh well, you can get it from her today, right?" he piped up.

"Mhm," I mumbled half-heartedly, chewing on a piece of toast.

He sat down and began to wolf down his food. I jumped up from the table.

"I'm going to go pick up my forehead protector, you can go on without me," I said hastily and closed the door behind me, leaving Naruto puzzled.

I ran through the still dark streets, desperate to escape any unwelcome eyes. For some stupid, idiotic, completely unreasonable reason, I had remembered the exact location of Sasuke's house.

I think Naruto's idiocy is contagious, very contagious, I thought tiredly.

I arrived at Sasuke's street and slowed down to a speed walk. I stopped in front of his house and raised my hand to knock but hesitated.

Is he even up yet? Maybe he's already gone? Argh! I'm going to look like a total idiot either way!, I thought indecisively.

Finally I knocked, I heard footsteps inside, Damn.

"Elvira? What are you doing here?" he asked, genuinely curious.

"I left something here," I spoke steadily, not showing a hint of weakness.

"Um, do you want to come in?" he suggested and gestured for me to enter.

I stepped in cautiously, "Well, you can go ahead," he said.

I walked directly into his room, searching the covers and bedside table. Nothing. I fumbled around in his washroom but there was no sign of my headband.

Crap! This isn't good!, I thought frustratedly.

Sasuke was leaning against the door frame of his bedroom door, "What are you looking for?" he smirked, "Could it be this?" he asked holding up my forehead protector.

My glowered at him, "You could've just told me," I said complainingly as I reached for the blue cloth.

He held it up above me, way over his head, "Come and get it," he challenged.

"Aw, come on! You always lose at this game!" I said coolly.

I jumped at it but he pulled it back and I landed on him. I realized his motive and pushed him away immediately.

"Are you done yet?" I asked impatiently.

He laughed, "Not yet."

I rolled my eyes exasperatedly but then brought out the puppy eyes, "Please... Sasuke-kun?" I said in a sugar-sweet voice.

His resolve wavered a bit and I leaped for the forehead protector, catching it, but knocking Sasuke over in the process.

"Ow!" he cried as I landed on top of him.