Chapter 36: Reopening an Old Wound

"Elvira, could I speak to you, please?" Kakashi asked as we just finished a grueling day of training.

"Of course, Sensei," I replied and walked back over to him.

"Um..." Sasuke looked back at us awkwardly.

"You go ahead, Sasuke," Kakashi shooed him away.

He grimaced but left, "Sensei?" I urged.

"Elvira, I need to ask a favour of you," he started, his eyebrows slanting into a worried expression.

"Yes, Sensei?"

He hesitated, "I need you to keep an eye on Sasuke for me, to make sure he isn't alone if his mark becomes active or someone is after him. Could you do that for me?" he pleaded.

"Of course, even if you hadn't asked me, I would've been looking after all of my teammates," I nodded.

"Well... that's not all," he said scratching his head.

"What else?" I cocked my head.

"Well... I know you live with Naruto right now but the Nine-tails isn't number one on the priority list anymore. It's Sasuke's mark. I know that Liz is being looked after by Shikamaru and loved ones usually have a better, more positive effect against the curse mark..." he trailed off.

"And you are asking me to move in with Sasuke?" I finished.

He nodded sheepishly, "I know it may be uncomfortable but-"

"But why me? Why not have an Anbu member look after him?" I said quickly.

I didn't really want to move in with Sasuke, he might try something weird. Well, it's not like Naruto doesn't but... he's a different case.

He shook his head, "You saw how effective the Anbu were against Kabuto, don't even mention Orochimaru. Sasuke will also take it offensively and he might do something stupid if he figures that I'm trying to protect him and I do not believe that he has enough strength to stand up against the curse mark and Orochimaru and his men."

I thought for a moment, "Understood," I dipped my head, "I'll get my stuff now, but could you explain to Naruto for me? He might jump to conclusions," I warned and took off.

Naruto shouldn't be home at this time, right?, I thought as I raced through the mildly busy streets.

I stopped outside his house and unlocked the door with my own set of keys. Good, no one was home. I dashed inside to grab my toiletries, my ninja tools and spare clothes and stuffed them into my bag. Everything else followed me around. I closed the door behind me, locked it and slipped the key under the crack in the door. I slung the pack over my shoulder and set off to find Sasuke.

Kakashi must be really worried if he wants me to move in with Sasuke. It seems that Orochimaru is even stronger than Kakashi, I pondered seriously as I searched the streets for that blue and white outfit.

"Sasuke!" I called as I found him walking towards the training field.

"Hm? What is it, Elvira?" he stopped and looked curiously at my packed bag, "The third exam is only a month away, where are you going?" he asked.

"Oh, I'm not going anywhere really, I'm just moving in with you," I said calmly.

He staggered backwards, "What?!" he shouted.

"Is there a problem?" I queried, tilting my head.

"Uh... yes," he said, looking at me as if I were crazy.

"Name it," I said impatiently.

He pointed his finger from himself to me and back again, "I'm a male, you're a female," he said simply.