Chapter 76: Sand and Sake

Lee charged. He was going so fast that his surroundings blurred around him but his target remained clear. He jumped and executed a kick aimed for Kimimaro's head but he blocked that easily with a raised arm. Another kick was blocked before the third missed and Kimimaro had jumped into the air. When Kimimaro came down again, he was readying his sword to stab Lee while he was still on the ground but he had underestimated Lee. With a mighty yelp, Lee delivered an uppercut punch to Kimimaro's chin and his whole body flew backwards, carried by Lee's harsh punch. He flipped back and managed to land on his feet. Lee reverted back to his original fighting stance, exhaling loudly. Kimimaro straightened up and cracked his shoulder several times as he readjusted the bones in his body.

"The next one," Lee said with a serious frown, "Will end it," he said firmly.

Kimimaro didn't register any emotion on his face.

Lee jumped up off the ground, "Konoha Great Spinning Wind!" and as he landed, he swept his leg at Kimimaro's feet.

But they were long gone. He was already hanging in the air from the momentum of his jump. Lee wasted no time in catching up. Within the blink of an eye, Lee was already in the air, in front of Kimimaro, his leg already stretched out to throw a kick. As if Kimimaro were made of jelly, he bent his body in on itself, making Lee miss by just an inch but Lee knew where Kimimaro was headed this time. He landed a second before Kimimaro did and struck out again, aiming for his left temple with another kick. No contact. Lee brought his foot down mightily trying to crush Kimimaro's skull but the fight wasn't going to be that easy. Kimimaro had slid out of harm's way already.

To be able to keep up with Lee and not even allow any of his kicks to make contact... Kimimaro is fast. No wonder Tayuya was so afraid of him, I realized grimly.

"You're surprisingly strong," Lee acknowledged, "And you move in a very unique way."

Feeling the need to reply, Kimimaro spoke, "Your movements... are too direct."

I wasn't sure whether Lee had taken offense in what he had said or just didn't understand it but he charged, his fist raised high. Kimimaro moved aside at the last possible second, making Lee stumble by him harmlessly. As Lee just registered what had happened, Kimimaro's sword was already pointed at the back of his head.

"It's over," he said in a low voice.

Kimimaro raised his sword and just as he was about to slash Lee clean in half, Lee's held up hand stopped him.

"Please wait!" Lee said, freezing Kimimaro half-swing.

Lee was completely at Kimimaro's mercy, I didn't know what could've caused Kimimaro to stop. He didn't strike me as the type to show mercy or hesitation when faced with an enemy... or even an ally.

"I'm sorry," Lee started sheepishly, "But it's almost time to take my medicine. I must take it! Excuse me," he said seriously.

He reached into his kunai holster and pulled out a small, white bottle. Something about it looked eerily familiar.

"Since I was little, I've never liked medicines," he grumbled as he uncorked the bottle.

The smell that wafted out told me all I needed to know.

Why would Tsunade-sama prescribe this to him?!, I thought, completely confused, Or did she...?

He raised the bottle to his lips and drank until the entire bottle was empty in one breath.

Oh, no. Could Lee have taken Tsunade-sama's sake instead?, I realized that this theory was probably closer to the truth.

Lee gave an involuntary shudder as the sake came to a rest in his stomach, "Ugh, medicine always has a weird taste," he pouted.