Chapter 69: I Really, Really Like You

After resting up a bit and healing ourselves, we walked back towards our homes. We dropped Liz off at her home, I knew she wouldn't choose to go, not unless Shikamaru had died or something like that. I didn't know about Sasuke though.

I heard the light creak of a door gliding open on oiled hinges. I felt the presence of Sasuke’s chakra and he padded to the side of the bed without making a single sound.  An almost inaudible intake of breath reached my ears and I opened my eyes a millimeter. Sasuke’s hand was outstretched towards me, a yearning look on his face. He was carrying a pack, one used normally for traveling.

Is he planning to leave?, I thought, my mind troubled.

At the last moment, his hand froze, just an inch from my cheek. Slowly, he pulled his hand back. My heart skipped a beat and it told me that I had hoped for his hand to make contact, maybe then, he would come back to his senses. He quietly backed out and I heard the click of the lock sliding in place in the door. I waited a few seconds and then got up, I abandoned my weapons and followed Sasuke. I kept to the shadows as he walked, trance-like, towards the village entrance.

There’s no mistaking it anymore, he wants to leave, I confirmed to myself as I recognized that this road was the road that he had to take to reach the entrance.

I decided to show myself and leaped out of the shadows, just a few meters behind him. I stayed silent, but I knew that he was aware of my presence because he stopped. He didn’t turn around to face me though.

"What’re you doing here?" he said in a low, cold tone.

"I could ask you the same," I countered.

"Isn’t it obvious?" his voice turned icy, "I’d expect you to have figured it out."

"I did. I also expect you to know why I’m here," I said in a hushed voice.

"Hmph, just go back to bed, my place is all yours," he said briskly.

I clenched my fists, "How could you just leave all of your friends behind like this? I thought Kakashi-Sensei had actually talked some sense into you!" I hissed.

He tensed, "You thought wrong then. Plus, you were there when the Sound Four attacked."

"Why? I want to know," I whispered, trying to keep my emotions under control.

"Why should I tell you? What I may decide is none of your business," he snarled.

His words felt like a dagger to my heart, "I’m not trying to be nosy, I just-"

"Well, you are! Just leave me alone," he interrupted me.

I never knew that his words could hurt me so much, it was ten times more painful than my worst wound.

"Why can’t you just listen for once? Why can’t you be open-minded?" I asked, my voice shook ever so slightly.

He clenched his fists up too and turned his whole body to face me, "I’m sorry I’m not perfect like you!" he growled.

I winced, the comment stinging more than it should have. A moment later, my arms were wrapped around him, my heart pounding in my throat. He was taken by surprise and was paralyzed with astonishment.

"I’m not perfect either. Don’t say that," I murmured.

My grip around him tightened as he stayed silent and unmoving.

"We’ve been through the same situations… where we lose everyone we love. I’ve also sought revenge but my abilities weren’t enough. I’ve listened and I've learned, revenge may not be the most important thing in life anymore… maybe our priorities have changed, since Fate decided that we should meet," I hugged him tighter, crushing myself to him, hoping that somehow, he’d feel what my heart was feeling right now.