CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

The moon was nowhere in sight tonight, but the sky was full of stars. They seemed so close, I wanted to reach with my hand and see if I could catch one. There wasn't anyone or anything in sight. It was just Nathan and I alone in the middle of the woods, trees all around us. I wondered what time it was, but I was too comfortable in Nathan's arms to move. He smelled so good. He felt so good.

"It would be okay, you know," Nathan said next to me. "If you wanted to talk."

"I haven't talked about him since it happened." I whispered then I gulped. "Mostly because I'm embarrassed of all the things I did for him. He never cared about me." I looked up at him. "Did you know? Could you see it?"

"It was none of my business." He said after a moment.

I shook my head in disbelief. "I fell too hard, too fast. Like I always do. I was the one that had to text him, otherwise we wouldn't talk. I was the one who would ask him out on dates." My laugh was dry. "You must think I'm an idiot."

He shrugged. "You were in love. People do crazy things when they're in love. There is nothing wrong with that."

I smiled at him. "There is everything wrong with getting drunk and kissing your bodyguard."

A smile was playing on his lips. "No, actually, there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong, though, is making your dad remove your bodyguard from your service and making him feel like he did something wrong."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Why would you think that? I was the one that kissed you."

"Yes, and then you stopped talking to me."

"We didn't even talk!" I teased.

"And here I was thinking we had a friendship going on."

I actually laughed. "I was just embarrassed, Nathan. You were the only one that witnessed my humiliation and then I get drunk and kiss you and humiliate myself some more."

"I wasn't going to judge you." He said softly. "I knew you were drunk and I knew you were hurt. You didn't do anything wrong. You did what every hurt person would do."

I frowned. "Really? I didn't know everyone went on and kissed their bodyguards when they get their hearts broken."

"Oh, it's totally a thing."

We laughed quietly. It was then that I realized that I was in the middle of nowhere, spending the night in the woods and I was actually having a good time. Of course, Nathan had something to do with it. He made me feel good about myself. He hadn't judged me.

I felt completely safe.

And warm.

And I wasn't panicking.

The fact that Nathan had everything to do with it, scared me. I couldn't remember the last time someone made me feel like this. Safe. Good. Happy.

"Are you okay?" Nathan whispered, bringing me back to reality.

"Yeah." I whispered back, burying my face in his shoulder so he wouldn't see my face. "What time is it?"

I felt him bring his right arm closer, pushing me against him, so he could check his watch. "Uh, four something." He places his hand on my shoulder, moving it up and down.

"Nathan?" I whispered.

"Yes?"

"You're not as bad as I thought."

His chest vibrated as he laughed.

I didn't fall asleep. I was way too uncomfortable. Not because of Nathan, he was the only good part, the problem was my butt. I couldn't feel it. Or my legs. But I didn't want to move. At the same time, I didn't want him to let me go. It wasn't long before we watched the sunrise. I had never been so happy to see the sun before.

"My butt is numb." I said after there was enough light to see what was in front of me. We had really made it through the night.

Nathan laughed. "Mine is too."

It was time. Slowly, we untangled from each other and pulled apart. I suddenly felt cold but I had to stand up, see if my legs still worked. It felt good to stretch. I helped Nathan pick up the clothes and put them back in the suitcase and duffel bag. Then we hit the road again.

"What now?"

"We see if we can get a car to stop for us."

"So we're hitchhiking."

"Yes."

I glanced at him. "That's dangerous."

He rolled his green eyes at me. "We spent the night in the middle of nowhere and you think hitchhiking is dangerous?"

I laughed. "You're right, I guess. Besides, I have my own personal bodyguard to protect me, right?"

He looked at me and smiled. "Right. I won't let anything happen to you, Hannah. Not for as long as I breathe."

We stared at each other for a moment. I hadn't even realized we had stopped walking until I started walking again. "We'll just have to make sure you don't die then."

We walked for a while in silence for a moment. "Where are we?" I wondered.

"We're probably still in New York." Nathan said with a frown.

"At this rate, we'll reach Miami in a week."

"No kidding." Nathan said flashing me a smile.

"Why do you like me?"

"What?" he asked, looking embarrassed.

I laughed. "Why do you like being my bodyguard?"

"Oh." He cleared his throat. "You're the better Collins."

"What does that mean?" I asked with a frown.

"Do I have permission to talk not-so-nice about your family?"

I shrugged. "I do it all the time."

He chuckled. "Well, your mother is hard to be around with. She kind of treats us like dogs. The rest of your family-well I just don't find them interesting." I laughed and he turned to look at me and smiled. "You're the only normal one. And you're modest. That makes you likeable."

"Likeable isn't a word." I laughed. Or was it? I had no idea. It sounded like slang.

He chuckled then looked at me again. "So are we friends now?"

I smiled at him. "Yes, we are friends."

A/N

Hey guys!:) Please comment and vote if you'd like! I would really love to hear what you guys think of this so far!! Thank you so much for reading!:)