CHAPTER NINETEEN

The next few hours were the longest hours of my life. When we got to the police station, they interrogated all of us individually. I felt useless because I could not answer any of their questions. I wish I knew who was doing this. Didn't they know I would tell them if I did?

After we were finally cleared, Patrick went to the condo to pack our things.

Nathan and I waited in an empty room.

I sat on the floor and hugged my knees, resting my forehead on my arms.

Nathan was standing, pacing around the room, making me feel even more anxious.

After a moment, he finally sat down next to me.

"I'm sorry," He whispered.

I turned to look at him. I hadn't realized how tired he looked. His hair was messy, from the many times he had run his hand over it, he just looked down-almost angry.

I shook my head. "None of this is your fault, Nathan."

He shut his eyes then leaned his head back. "I feel like I let you down. I should have done something-"

"You couldn't have done anything," I interrupted him. "Please don't blame yourself for this." I reached for his hand and squeezed it, he opened his eyes and looked at me. "You saved my life, Nathan. Thank you," I reached out and kissed his lips.

He half smiled but he still seemed out of it. I could tell there was something bothering him.

"What's going to happen now?" I asked resting my head on his shoulder.

"We'll go back to New York-there's no point in staying here."

I sighed. "I don't understand why someone would do this. To hurt me. To hurt my family. They killed a lot of innocent people..." I trailed off, thinking of the blood I had seen.

Nathan didn't say anything and the room was filled with silence again.

This was not how I wanted to go home but I tried to comfort myself. At least I was going home.

When Patrick arrived, we drove to the airport where my father's private plane was waiting. Only the two pilots would drive with us.

Patrick kissed my cheek and then hugged me tightly. "I'm so glad you're safe, Hannah, please stay safe."

I smiled against his shoulder. "You too. I'm sorry we had to leave like this."

He smiled sadly. "Me too. Text me when you land so I know you're safe."

I kissed his cheek. "Okay." I smiled at him before following Nathan into the airplane. It was private so it was small, only for about ten passengers. I sat by the window and waved at Patrick as it got ready to depart. I hated that I had to leave like this. I was going to miss him.

"How long is it to New York?"

"We'll be there in three hours, if not less."

I nodded.

I was beginning to feel a little better. I had washed my face back at the station since I didn't like the feeling of dried tears on my face and that had woken me up a bit. I felt more alert.

The first hour in the plane actually went by fast. I loved looking out the window of an airplane. Everything looked so small.

I especially loved the clouds. They brought me peace.

"Can I ask you something?" Nathan asked after a long moment of silence.

"Yeah?" I asked turning to look at him.