CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Patrick stared at me from across the table with his wide, blue eyes. His hair was very messy and he was only wearing jeans with a green sweater but he still managed to pull it off.

"What?" I almost screamed at him as I took a sip of the coffee.

"I didn't take you out to dinner for nothing," he hissed

"I knew you were being too nice," I teased as I used my fork to take piece of chicken from the plate.

"Hannah," He warned.

I laughed. "What?"

"This isn't funny. I'm your best friend."

"I never said you weren't."

"Best friends tell each other everything."

"They do," I agreed, a smile playing on my lips.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Then why haven't you explained why I saw Nathan walk out of your room this morning?"

I didn't say anything for a moment. This morning, I actually work up with a smile. I felt good. I loved sleeping with Nathan. I could remember when I woke up in the middle of the night and he was still cuddling me. Patrick was out all day so Nathan and I spent the afternoon together. We went to watch a movie and then took a long walk on the beach. Nathan had shyly reached for my hand and the thought still made me smile.

I glanced at him through the window glass. It was dark outside but I could still see him as he was parked right outside. He was looking radiant in his suit as he leaned on the car and talked on the phone. Patrick asked him to give us some privacy, obviously because he wanted me to tell him what happened last night. That was the thing...

"Nothing happened," I said trying not to sound disappointed. I was disappointed that nothing had happened but at the same time, I was still content with him just sleeping with me. It had still been a good night.

"Liar," Patrick accused.

"I am not," I said looking at him. "We didn't do anything."

Patrick stared at me with his mouth opened. "Are you telling me that Hannah didn't get the banana?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "You're unbelievable," I said laughing.

He chuckled. "I'm sorry. I'm confused, he's gay then?"

"No!" I said quickly then looked down. "He-we-didn't have a condom." I said quietly.

There were families all around us, I didn't want to be the reason the parents had to explain what a condom was to a five-year-old.

Patrick frowned. "That had a solution! I have boxes in my room."

I rolled my eyes at him. "I figured."

"So? Why didn't you go get one?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I figured that maybe it was a sign. Sleeping with him would complicate things."

"So?" he asked again. "If you want to do it with someone, do it. Worry about the consequences later. That's why they're called consequences."

"He would lose his job."

Patrick rolled his eyes at me. "You know what your problem is? You think too much. Don't think, just do."

I stared at him in amusement. "I can't believe you just quoted Barney Stinson."

Come to think of it, he was actually a lot like Barney Stinson. I watched way too much How I Met Your Mother.

"I'm being serious," He insisted. "Stop thinking. You want that piece of meat? Eat it."