CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE

The next few hours went by really fast. We were quiet for most of the way but it was a comfortable silence. Which of course, scared me. Everything about Nathan scared me. I knew I was starting to like him and there was nothing I could do about it.

"What did you do before you were a bodyguard?" I asked him as night began to fall on us.

A dark shadow crosses over Nathan's handsome face. "I was in the military."

"You were?" I asked in shock. At the same time, that explained his fire making skills, the way he wouldn't sleep, how well his body was built. "How old are you?"

He chuckled but I could hear a strain in it. I could tell he didn't like talking about this. I didn't blame him. "I am twenty-four. I joined when I was 18 and graduated from high school."

"You wanted to follow your dad's footsteps." I realized.

He nodded slowly, looking straight ahead. "I did, yes. My mother was never ok with it, then again she was never ok with anything I did."

I smiled sadly. "Believe it or not, I know exactly how that feels."

He shrugged. "I don't really talk about this with anyone..."

"Because you don't have any friends?" I teased, trying to lighten up the mood. As much as I didn't want to admit it, I liked it when Nathan was all happy and laughing. He made me feel good. He was an optimistic and I was starting to like it.

He laughed. "Pretty much, yes."

I looked out the window for a moment. "Is that why you don't sleep?" I really didn't want to push him but, at the same time, I couldn't seem to drop it.

I wasn't looking at him but, from the corner of my eye, I could see his hands grip the steering wheel. "I am just not used to sleeping, that's all."

I nodded slowly, knowing he was lying. "Okay."

I understood that he didn't like talking about it but I couldn't help but worry about him. Not sleeping was not healthy. I wondered how bad his nightmares were.

I never pictured Nathan as a guy from the military. Maybe because of how happy he was all the time. Then I realized that maybe he was just used to hiding his pain...hiding the fact that he couldn't sleep...

I bit my lip and leaned my head on the window. I stared at the trees outside until I fell asleep.

___________________________

"...no, I told you I can't go...I'm working..."

It took me a moment to realize that Nathan was talking on the phone when I woke up. I kept my eyes closed and just sat there. I wasn't going to lie, I was curious on who he was talking to.

"...I just can't go..." he chuckled. "Jared-I really am working this time...I'm not even in New York...no, I can't tell you where I am."

The car came to a sudden stop.

"How many times have I told you that I don't want to go out with her again?" Nathan was arguing when I paid attention again. "I don't care, Jared, call he and tell her it was all you. I don't like her that way. I am fine just being by myself." I could feel him looking at me and my heart began to beat faster. Did he caught me? I decide it's time to wake up so I open my eyes slowly just to close them again.

The bright light from outside made my eyes hurt. I realized it was morning and that we are at a rest stop.

"Listen, I got to go," Nathan said quickly. "Alright, bye." Nathan shut off the car. "Good morning."