ONE

Sophia closes the back door quietly not wanting to wake up the servants. No one must know about this. She crosses her arms as the chilled morning wind welcomes her to the town of Lakewood, the town that watched her grow up. Everyone is fast asleep. Except for a few birds chirping lazily as if waking up from their restful night. She positions her hood in a way that shields her face, it wouldn't be convenient if the neighbors saw her sneaking out her splendid house. In fact, sneaking out was the only way to meet Daniel. Something a young lady of her caste should definitely not do.

She arrives at her destination. A rather dark and filthy alley with puddles of mud remaining from last night's rain. She jumps up from a sudden movement under her skirt, with her heart beating fast, she sees that is just a rat running to the nearest hiding spot. She laughs noticing how paranoid she was being. She's done this multiple times. She sneaks out of her home as often as she can, just to meet a boy who certainly, does not seem obligated to sneak out from his home, for he is son of the mayor of Lakewood; he is rich, powerful, handsome, but with a past he failed to mention.

҉ ҉ ҉҉҉

One cold night in December, the Smith family, wanting to share their wealth with the commoners, organized the biggest Christmas party in town. Of course all the population of Lakewood attended and so did the Willis family.

Sophia, the youngest member of the Willis family, was ecstatic. A young girl such as herself, always enjoyed a big get together, it never really mattered who were the hosts, just who were going to be there. She wore her best dress, and her best smile. This was the time to let young men know that she was now available for marriage. The problem was that she was a conservative girl whose father shielded her from the outside world for as long as it was possible. She never spoke unless spoken to, she enjoyed reading, she played the piano and her reputation was impeccable. But young boys never seem to notice these qualities. They seemed to notice women like her eldest and only sister, Lucia Willis.

Lucia is a fun and popular girl. She laughs and giggles whenever she's speaking to a handsome man; she likes to talk loudly so people will hear her, even if she had nothing very important to say. It's enough to say that her reputation is quite scandalous. Lucia has been married twice. Her first husband, a mature steelworker, decided to leave the country for a better future and Lucia refused to follow him. She took advantage of this situation and claimed to be a widow. Her second husband, a young theatre actor, couldn't stand her promiscuous behavior, abandoned her within the first months of their marriage. How she did it to be married twice and still have suitors at her feet? Was beyond anyone's understanding.

At last, when Sophia turned eighteen, it was her turn to be wed. She dreamt and dreamt of her wedding day, her husband, her family, and her future. As expected, she was taught by her governess and sometimes her mother how to behave appropriately, how to cook and sow, she learned to play the piano in the hopes to impress the man she was going to marry. Her preparation since her birth was to be a good, dedicated wife. Now, she felt more than ready to start with her life. And that night's Ball, was her chance to find whom she was going to marry.

But she found Daniel instead.

Daniel is a handsome man with blonde hair and blue eyes, every girl's dream. He comes from a big wealthy family and seems to have everything. And with his charming smile, he seduced young Sophia Willis. Sophia fell head over heels for him. He was friendly, caring and he was a gentleman. One look at him and she knew or thought she knew, he was the one. He asked her for a dance, and a lady never denies such invitation from such a distinguished man.

҉ ҉ ҉҉҉

Sophia stands firmly as she waits for him. She holds on to her cape tightly around her chest trying to get warm. Her head turns every direction worried that Daniel might not show up. She needs to tell him something very important and she knows it can't wait much longer. When she sees a dark shadow appear from the far end of the alley, she recognizes him right away, the shadow walks tall and proud, it was Daniel. When he sees her, he runs to her and holds her tightly against his chest feeling her warmth. She closes her eyes enjoying the moment, he lifts her face with his warm hands and leans forward aiming for her lips, but she pulls away rapidly. Daniel is frustrated but he tries not to show it. Sophia clears her throat knowing she can no longer postpone it.