THIRTEEN

Adam found it impossible to stand. His head went spinning whenever he tried. His body ached with every movement he made. He could feel the warmth of his eye as it started to swell. He spit more blood leaving a metallic taste behind. At last, he got up on his feet slowly. He flinched as a piercing pain made his way down his back. He had no idea Mr. Willis was so aggressive, he had heard a rifle being shot but he presumed there were men hunting birds, until he saw Sophia, breathless and scared as she appeared on the door way. He walked towards a mirror wanting to know if it was too noticeable that he had just been beaten. It was. His left eye was turning purple and his cheek was swollen. A few scrapes appeared on his forehead, not knowing how they had occurred. His shirt was stained with the blood from his slashed lip.

He walked slowly towards the house. As he walked through the dirt road between the house and the shop, he could hear people murmuring and repeating the ordeal. He knew rumors would probably reach his parents before they even arrived. He walked inside towards the living room. He laid down as his head started to pounce. He had to clear things up. He had to tell him the whole truth. But he didn't know if he could present himself at the Willis' residence. Mr. Willis sounded very serious about his unspoken threat.

"Adam?" He heard Martha desperate tone. "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything," he replied as he shielded his eyes from the sunlight.

"Why, then, was Mr. Willis furiously holding his rifle dragging his poor daughter through town? Is it true that you hurt Miss Willis?"

"No, I didn't. It was just a misunderstanding." He stood slowly not wanting to feel the intolerable pain. "Can you get water ready for me? I need a cold bath."

"I heard that you forced Miss Sophia Willis. And that if it wasn't for Miss Willis, her father would have killed you."

"I didn't force anybody, I haven't done a thing to Miss Willis! Don't believe everything you hear Martha!"

She watched him not believing a single word, and Adam really needed that bath.

"Martha," he started calmly. "Trust me, there has been a misunderstanding. In fact, I'll go to Mr. Willis' first thing in the morning to clarify it all."

"You are planning to see him? Look what he did to you."

Adam shook his head. "I owe Mr. Willis an explanation."

҉ ҉ ҉

On his way to see Mr. Willis, he felt all the town's stares, either accusatory or alarmed. He tried ignoring the gossiping as he made his way to the front gate, but the whispers were too much. It seemed that the whole town witnessed the unfortunate event.

He wore his best clothes at the attempt to appear as presentable as possible. He exhaled sharply and knocked on the door twice. One of the servants responded, her eyes widened at the sight of him. The skin surrounding his eye became almost black, his cheek was as swollen as it could get and a dark scab covered half his lips, hurting him every time he spoke. He asked for Mr. Willis and as if ordered, she didn't ask him inside. But he didn't mind.

He stepped down and stood firmly on the ground. As he waited, his legs started to weaken. He hadn't been so nervous in his life. He looked around him. A group of spectators was starting to form, as if they were hungry for more. Women held their children tightly beside them, men watched curiously. They were probably wondering what Adam was thinking as he waited outside the Willis' house.

After what seemed hours, the door was opened, an angry Mr. Willis walked out firmly. The crowd hurriedly went back to their business, after seeing Mr. Willis with such rage, they didn't want to aggravate him. Adam didn't allow Mr. Willis' stance to intimidate him.