FOURTEEN

Sophia walks down the streets of Lakewood serenely. She is dreading her destination but she urges on. Her sister was sent to the St. Joseph's Convent with the hopes that she will reconcile with the Lord and stop her promiscuous behavior. By the time Sophia arrived after her walk with Adam, her sister was gone. She decides to cut through the forest and arrives to the convent, the huge building looking down at her intimidatingly.

She always thought St. Joseph's was such a gloomy place and the Nuns were ironically rude. Once she arrives and speaks with one of the Sisters, she waits for her in an empty room where she sat at the bench that seemed it was all the furniture it needed. She finds herself thinking about Adam as she looks down at the plain unappealing bench. She is brought back to that day they spent alone for the last time. She closes her eyes gently longing for his touch.

A nun appears opening the door as Lucia makes her way inside. She is wearing the kind of dress the novice nuns wear, except for the habit. Sophia can't help but realize how ordinary her sister looks.

"What do you want?" Lucia sneers.

"I just wanted to see how you were."

Lucia rolls her eyes. "I am fine, you may leave now."

Sophia feels hurt but she tries to ignore it. "Lucia, please..."

"What? You expect me to treat you well after you went out of your way to betray me?"

"Lucia, I did not..."

"Granted, I did the same to you but I had no idea you were capable of doing it. And when I told my father about your escapades, he didn't believe a word I said. You truly have our father eating out of the palm of your hand."

"Lucia," Sophia says firmly. "I did not say a thing to my father. I tried, but he wouldn't listen to me."

Lucia laughs in disbelief. "If you didn't, then who did? Apart from you and I, Adam..." she pauses, her face expressionless as she comes to the realization. "Adam?"

Sophia nods. "He spoke with our father the day you left."

Lucia seems weak for the first time, and Sophia can't help but feel pity for her. "Alright. Then he is truly fond of you, isn't he?" Sophia doesn't reply. Lucia sits beside her and sighs. "Your wedding is fast approaching, isn't it?"

"It's this Saturday."

Lucia nods. "I don't think I have ever congratulated you." She looks her way and gives her a smile. "I should give you some advice since I have been married before."

"Alright," Sophia replies unsure if she wants to hear it.

Lucia straightens. "The night you get married, he is going to want to consummate the marriage."

Sophia shifts in her seat uncomfortably.

Lucia continues, "I am telling you as your big sister and I think you should really know this before you go down that path completely blind. If he wants to consummate, he will do it. It doesn't matter if you are ready or not, he will do it. He will force you if you refuse."

"Lucia I'd prefer if..."

"Listen Sophie, I care about you that is why I am warning you. Men are beasts. When they have this urge, they can't stop themselves. They get their impulses and you are no one to refuse them. You can't refuse to fulfill your duty as a wife. It's going to hurt but you can't scream or yell, it will be worse if you do, so it would best if you don't fight it."

Sophia can't stand the conversation much longer. "Lucia, stop."

Lucia giggles. "After your wedding night, come and tell me how it went. Tell me if I was wrong."