TWENTY SIX

(WARNING: may not be suitable for minors)

 Sophia's leaning against the wall where Adam had left her. She touches her lips softly with her fingertips reliving the moment. She sighs in glee, Adam had never taken her breath away quite like this before. She smiles as she recalls his wondering gentle but strong hands caressing her body, making her neck grow hot. Smiling to herself, she walks downstairs towards the kitchen. She stops short at the living room door as she spots Adam having a conversation with some women from town. She stops in the doorway, and watches him.

She can't believe how lucky she was for not staying with Daniel, not that she had much of a choice, but the fact that she decided to move on, made her realize that all this was meant to be.

Adam laughs, his manly chuckle makes her smile. He looks tired, Sophia realizes. The circles under his eyes were fairly new, and the stubble on his face, though it makes him seem more handsome, told her that he skipped his shaving routine, which was unlike him.

Adam looks up and catches her eyes, Sophia gets slightly nervous. Adam gives her the most beautiful smile, Sophia smiles back, she can't wait to be alone with him.

She enters the kitchen to find her parents sitting on the table eating from a platter.

"What happened?" Sophia asks confused as to why they isolated themselves.

Her father shrugs, "Too crowded. I didn't know you were friends with all these people."

"They're more like Mrs. Lancaster's friends," she replies bashfully.

"Oh god what is that?" her mother exclaims startled.

Sophia looks around her trying find some insect on the floor. "What?"

"That!" she pulls her closer to her and points at her neck.

Sophia has no idea what she's talking about until her father pokes her neck and it feels tender. She immediately covers her neck with her hand, it was where Adam was kissing her.

"Is that what I think it is?" Mrs. Lancaster asks unable to hide her smile.

Sophia turns red and doesn't reply.

Mr. Lancaster chuckles. "Newlyweds Mrs. Willis, I'm sure you remember some of that."

Her mother can't contain herself and giggles. "Oh do I!"

Feeling conscious about her neck, Sophia decides to leave her parents and join her husband. She spots him easily for he's height makes him stand over the crowd. She walks quietly behind him as he listens to whatever the mayor was saying to the group of five men surrounding him. She gently lays a comforting hand on his arm, he turns and smiles obviously pleased to see her, he discreetly reaches for her hand and interlocks his fingers with hers. No one could tell they were holding hands, and if they did, Sophia doubts that Adam would let go, just as she won't let go of him.

҉ ҉ ҉

Sophia closes the door of the drawing room behind her and she sees Adam already out of his traveling clothes, looking out the window deep in thought, Sophia wonders what he's thinking. She walks towards him as she tries to make a conversation so she can get Adam away from those dark thoughts that are making him so unhappy.

"Everyone is gone, thank goodness."

Adam turns not realizing she was in the room. "That took a while," he replies. He's sad eyes disappearing behind a teasing smile.