EPILOGUE

One cold December day, the streets of Lakewood were covered in snow, and its streets were filled with people in the early Christmas day eve rush. Children ran to their houses once the night came upon them from one playful evening ready for their Christmas Eve celebration. Mothers prepared their homes for the festivities, husbands sat by the fireplace waiting for the festivities to begin.

The Lancaster home was not the exception. Mr. Lancaster Sr. had invited the Willis family to their home to celebrate Christmas together. Mrs. Lancaster and Mrs. Willis kept a watchful eye on the preparations as the gentlemen had a hearty conversation about their pasts. Little John Lancaster sat on the floor reading a book Gilda had given him as an early gift. Gilda sat by the window looking out expectantly for a carriage to arrive. The carriage that would bring Adam and Sophia Lancaster back home.

It had been over four months when they first left Lakewood. Sophia had kept in contact sending Gilda letters, letting her know of their adventures. They did in fact left and stayed in Italy. Adam bought a cottage in a remote town which Sophia described as "Tranquil and pleasant". Sophia wrote that the cottage was cozy and beautiful, that she was taking private Italian lessons from a woman that was "Stricter than any governess she had ever had."

Adam too kept in touch as he promised. His letters contained updates on Sophia's wellbeing. Gilda wanted to know if getting away from Lakewood was benefitting her, and according to Adam's letters, it was. "She is confident," he wrote, "maybe even happier. Meeting new people and learning of their cultures brings light back to her life. She laughs more and she is less timid every day."

Adam opened his own carpentry shop, it was small and there was only one other carpenter but their skills were enough to make the business flourish. Which made Gilda fear that their visit to Italy was now going to be permanent, and the house he built was now going to be a summer home. Lakewood held on to too many bad memories. She also knew that that place was still capable of destroying Sophia. The mayor of Lakewood sent his son and his wife away, but only for three months. They were now back and it took all of Gilda's self-control to not treat the Smith family with disdain.

"I wonder what's taking them so long?" asked Mrs. Willis taking her place beside Gilda.

"How long has it been since they married?" came Mrs. Lancaster's voice from behind them.

"Almost a year, now. This February will be their first anniversary," replied Mr. Lancaster.

"A year already? Time goes by way too fast."

"There they are!" Gilda exclaimed excitedly. The carriage came to a halt and the coach stepped down opening its door. Everyone, including John, rushed out to greet them out in the cold night.

Adam stepped out first and held out his hand. Sophia stepped down struggling a bit but leaned on her husband for support.

"Adam, Sophia! We thought you would never make it!" Mrs. Lancaster embraced them both.

"Forgive us," came Adam's explanation. "We had quite a rough journey."

"I hope nothing serious," Mrs. Willis said as it was her turn to give them a hug.

"No, the snow made things extremely difficult," Sophia replied rapidly.

As the fathers shook hands with Adam and they embraced Sophia, Gilda waited for them inside with a tray of hot tea for the both of them suspecting that their long journey was also a very cold one.

As they stepped inside the Lancaster residence, the vast Christmas tree greeted them. Sophia rushed to Gilda and gave her the strongest embrace yet.

Tears started rolling down Gilda's face. "We've all missed you!"

Sophia pulled away and gave her a smile. Gilda saw a complete different ambiance on her than when she left. He eyes sparkled with happiness, her smile bright and cheery, her laugh, loud and pleasant. Gilda could now tell she was truly happy.

Adam embraced Gilda, his strong arms assuring her that they were truly back.

He walked behind Sophia offering to take her cloak. Sophia nods giving him a smile.

That was when everyone became quiet and stared. Behind that cloak, Sophia was hiding a very small but very pregnant belly.

"Oh my God!" Mrs. Lancaster was the first to speak. "I'm going to be a grandmother!" and with it more embraces and congratulatory exclamations followed.

As they both explained how they wanted to surprise them, therefor not mentioning a thing on their letters, Gilda watched them tenderly. Adam held on his wife's hand gently but firmly and he looked at her with so much devotion that made Gilda sigh in content. Sophia spoke of the events excitedly as she ran her hands down her swollen belly tenderly. They spoke of their plans, confirming Gilda's suspicions. They would stay until the baby was born and they would return to Italy as soon as Sophia recuperated, assuring them that will come visit as often as they could.

Gilda nodded and laughed along with everyone remembering the young girl who doubted that she could impress Mr. Adam Lancaster. Who doubted that she could be the one for him. And now watching how much Adam admired her she knew that they were meant for each other. Gilda made a small prayer as the dinner was announced and they made their way to the dining room. She was thankful that these two young ones destined to the uncertainties of an arranged marriage, were now the happiest married couple her eyes did see. And this made her one happy old lady.