ELEVEN

Adam steps back as he studies the dining table. His father left to New York, leaving Adam in charge of the shop. The shop he will inherit once his father retires, and he made sure to let his father know that the shop was going to be in good hands. He groans as his rugged hands start hurting. He still had to finish carving the figurines on the table's legs and dress the surface but other than that, he would be finish with this week's orders. He looks around him satisfied with himself, two sets of dining rooms and bedroom furniture were done and not to mention the furniture for his own future home. He had the house under construction and the already finished furniture was waiting to be positioned at the shop's storage room. He had visited the site earlier that morning and everything was going as smoothly as expected. The house needed the roof and basic accommodations, but he was positive that it will all be ready for the wedding, which is just a few weeks away.

At the thought of the wedding approaching rapidly, he feels like his lungs can no longer take in anymore air. He is nervous, he admits. Not for the wedding, but for his life with Sophia. How will it be? Will they be able to live together without any challenges?

A knock on the door distracts him from his thoughts, he sees her in a yellow dress taking his breath away. His eyes automatically searches for her left hand, and he smiles as he spots the diamond ring.

"I hope I am not disturbing," she says.

Adam wipes his hands on a wet piece of cloth hanging from his belt hoping for the pain in his hands to subside. "Not at all, please come in." He walks towards her and catches a glimpse of himself in a dressing table, he feels a bit embarrassed as he sees himself in his working clothes but he dismisses it immediately.

She walks in slowly taking the shop in. This was her first time at the shop, he realizes. "I just want to thank you." She gives him a quick smile. "For the ring, I mean. It's a beautiful ring," she finishes as she absently twists it on her finger.

"Well, you are very welcome," he replies as he watches her walking around, touching the furniture beside her, he follows close behind her.

"I want to ask you something, and I want you to be completely honest with me."

He knew there was something behind her unexpected visit. "Alright."

She turns to see him as she comes to a halt. "Were you involved with my sister?"

Adam feels his mouth go dry. He supposed he couldn't avoid the subject for much longer. "I was, five years ago."

"Oh," was all she could reply at the moment. They stand quietly and he sees her turn back around, admiring an armoire, but in deep thought at the same time. "Where you in love with her?" she broke the silence.

"No. I found her very attractive, that's all."

"There was no love? At all?" she sounds confused.

He finds himself wanting to explain, is this going to ruin everything? "There was an attraction but it meant nothing. I was young and foolish. I know it sounds like a shallow excuse but..."

"You don't have to explain a thing. I know my sister has always been pretty. But..." she hesitates as if searching for the right words. "Has there been more women, after her?"

Adam blinks at her question, was this a rumor going around in Lakewood? Was he really giving out that impression? He walks up to her and holds her arms gently. "No. Just her."

Sophia nods understandingly. "Do you still think about her?" Was that insecurity that he heard in her voice?

"No. My situation with her was a very short one. We both were a bit tipsy and it led to that. There was no meaning behind it. Just lust."

Sophia takes a deep breath and smiles weakly. "Forgive me for asking. I just felt that if we were going to be man and wife, that we should be honest with each other."

Adam smiles, Sophia was keener than he thought. "Yes, I agree. Do you have anything that I should know?"

Sophia looks around thinking for a reply. "I am allergic to cats."

Adam laughs. "I'm afraid I can't accept that."

"Well I am not going to apologize for it if that's what you want."

Adam fakes frustration. "So I am trapped with a cat hating woman?"

She lets out a sweet laugh and starts walking around the shop admiring the upholstery. He follows close behind her.

"These furnishings are breathtaking," she comments. "You made them yourself?"

"Yes, well, not nearly half of them, I must admit." He lays a hand on the armoire she was admiring earlier. "This one, my father made, but I assisted him with the burnish."

Sophia nods. "How about this one? It's a stunning chair," she refers to the rocking chair behind them. She runs her fingers down the back of the chair.

"Thank you, I did in fact constructed it myself," he says proudly as he runs his fingers over its soft back. "It took a whole month to complete it."

"Amazing. It's a beautiful piece, worth all the time you put into it."

As he runs his hands on the chair, their fingers slightly touch, his fingertips on hers. Neither of them pull away. Her skin was soft on his rugged skin, making him feel things he hasn't felt before. He doesn't move, he fears that the great feeling of his skin touching hers will be interrupted changing his life altogether.

She then turns away shyly as if she knew what he was feeling. "I won't take more of your time."

Adam accompanies her to the door, she curtsies gently. "Thank you again, for the ring, and..." she looks around her timidly when her green eyes land on his, she smiles. "And for everything."

"Anytime," he replies as she walks out taking slow peaceful steps. Adam looks after her until she disappears behind the busy crowds of Lakewood. He takes a long deep breath, he hadn't noticed he had been holding his breath all this time.

/