SIX

The night is unseasonable warm, almost as if the universe knew of the celebration happening down below. From her balcony, Sophia watches as the guests start to arrive. The ladies are wearing their best dresses and their best jewelry, as if trying to showcase their riches. Sophia takes a deep breath, everyone is looking forward to this celebration, but Sophia is dreading it. She is dressed in her white dress and her hair was immaculate, all she is waiting for is for Gilda to announce that she could go down stairs to the ballroom.

She has to face it, she is nervous. She surely wants to be wed. She wants to marry a man that would love her and respect her. Someone to raise a loving family with. But she had always imagined that Daniel would be that man. There it was again, his name inside her head, like an insect that refused to leave her alone. She is so angry at Daniel that just like a bug, she wanted to smack it. But she knows she was the one to blame. She was the one who fell for him, she was too weak to walk away from his charming smile. Why couldn't she have been strong and refuse to meet with him that first night? She knew it was wrong yet she did it, and that would be something she will regret her whole life.

҉ ҉҉҉ ҉

All the guests arrived and each of them took their seats around the tables, situated carefully throughout the ball room. Both the Willis and the Lancaster family, sat on the same round table, all of them looking their best. Candles lighted the place and the chandelier above their heads is the main attraction. Sophia faced Adam and every now and then they would lock eyes, making Sophia more nervous than she already was. She tries to have a conversation with Lucia but it is impossible. She went on about how handsome Adam looked in his dark blue attire. A soft violin blended with the low chatter from the guests. Sophia tries drinking her glass of water but her hands are trembling, so she decides against it and holds her hands firmly on her lap.

Mr. Lancaster stands up and raises his hand gently, signaling the musicians to stop. Sophia shifts in her seat, she could no longer feel her legs. He waits for the crowd to quiet down, then he starts, "Tonight, is a special day for both of our families, I want to take the time to thank you our guests, for being part of this very joyous and exciting event." He pauses collecting his
thoughts. "My son, is no longer a boy, and he is now taking the ultimate step to manhood, and I am so proud of him in every single way possible. I want to thank the Willis family for giving this family such a fine lady, I can't possibly imagine how difficult it might be." Both fathers share a smile. "Son, you are the lucky man we are celebrating today, would you like to say something to our friends who have come to celebrate with us?"

Sophia straightens and holds her breath as Adam stands firmly. Is he going to cancel the engagement now? Like this? Sophia's ready to cry, but she fights against it. It's for the better. He deserves a chance to enjoy his life while he's still young, she does not want to be the one to hold him back. If this is how it's going to happen, Sophia deserves it. His rejection towards her, in front of everyone, including Daniel, is the least she deserves after being a man's other woman.

"I want to say..." He skims through the guests slowly, everyone watches him attentively, anticipating his words. Then something strange occurs. His eyes land on Sophia and she feels her heart stop, she can tell he's struggling, he's having second thoughts and she cannot allow that. She gives him a slight nod that only he notices. He smiles then turns towards the audience. "I just want to say how grateful I am to Mr. Willis, it is a pleasure for me to marry your beautiful daughter. Thank you."

The audience cheers in unison, her father stands and gives Adam a hardy handshake. He starts making a toast but Sophia is too stunned to even listen to his father's words. Does Adam know that there is no turning back? She sees him and he smiles and nods her way raising his glass, then she knows that he knew exactly what he was doing.