EIGHTEEN

Sophia hears the door knob being turned, she stands rapidly, runs her fingers through her hair and waits. Adam appears in the doorway, his eyes glassy, his shirt unbuttoned. He is drunk, she realizes. Sophia doesn't dare to move. "Where were you?" she lastly asks.

Adam takes his jacket off and throws it on the couch. "I went out for a few drinks."

"By yourself?"

"Yes, by myself. Why?"

Sophia takes a deep breath. "I want to ask you something, but promise me that you will tell me the truth. Please, promise me."

Adam blinks puzzled. "I promise."

"Are you having ..." she pauses. This was harder than she feared. "Are you having an affair?"

Adam drops his gaze. "What?"

Sophia sensing his anger, takes a step back. "Answer the question please."

"You have no right to accuse me of cheating."

"I'm not accusing you..."

He walks forward angrily. "The simple thought that I have another woman is offending."

Sophia blinks surprised by his anger. "Adam, I'm sorry, I..."

He turns away abruptly. "I wasn't expecting this. Not from you."

Sophia's eyes start to water but she ignores them. "What else am I supposed to think? You arrive late, you don't send a message and you are drunk. You can't blame me for suspecting."

"I can't?" He spits furiously and turns to her. "To answer your question, no, I don't have an affair. I went to the bar because I needed some time to think. I didn't send you a message because I had no one to send it with. Happy?"

"Please, try to understand... Adam?" but she is left alone. Adam leaves the building slamming the door strongly behind him making the walls shake. Sophia feels her throat in knots.

She freezes in place unable to absorb what had just happened. Thing escalated too quickly, and her anger towards Adam did not help. She turns towards the master bedroom replaying the conversation in her head. She sits on the bed, her raddled thoughts make her unaware of the tears rolling down her cheeks, nor the cold floor under her bare feet. She covers her face with her trembling hands. She has the sudden fear that Adam won't come back.