THIRTY

Sophia paces back and forth watching the door anxiously. Her hands trembling, stomach tight with nervousness. Her sister's memory pushed aside by other thoughts. How will he take the news? Will he be happy for her, happy for the both of them? She turns to the mirror hanging from the wall and smiles. This is what she needed. This. The promise of new life after a tragic death. She runs her hand down her stomach, knowing it's too soon to tell, she rubs it anyway. She wonders how it will feel once it starts to show.

The door knob turns slowly making her turn abruptly. She takes a deep breath.

Adam walks inside, eyes looking down on the floor, the suit in which he usually looks so handsome, is disheveled.

"Adam?" Sophia walks towards him deeply concerned by her husband's sad demeanor. She places a gentle hand on the side of his cheek and lifts his face slowly meeting his eyes. "What's the matter?"

He gazes at her but doesn't say a word. Instead, he takes her hand and guides her to the drawing room. Sophia starts to imagine the worse.

As they settle on the sofa, he starts speaking lowly. "It's nothing too bad. We were invited to the Mayor's house for a luncheon."

"How did it go?" she asks desperately.

"My father and the mayor came to an agreement."

"What kind of agreement?"

He rubs his head roughly as he replies, "My father sold him the shop."

Sophia gasps puzzled. The carpentry, the only one in Lakewood, the one that Adam's own grandfather built from scratch and passed it down to his son and it was supposed to be passed down to Adam in the future. It's the Lancaster's pride, all their work and determination packed in that one place.

Catching her breath she asks in disbelief, "He sold the shop to Mayor Smith?"

"Yes, to the Mayor of Lakewood," he says sarcastically. "As soon as he heard of our business in New York, he wanted the shop as his own. He offered my father a substantial amount of money and my father accepted it. There was a big celebration after the accord. He didn't even ask me." He says as an afterthought. "He didn't think of asking for my opinion."

"I'm sorry," she replies softly not able to find any suitable words. They sit side by side, Sophia runs her hand down his back encouragingly, wondering what she can do to make him feel better about all this.

"Oh God, I've been so selfish," Adam says hurriedly after a moment of silence. "I completely forgot about your appointment with Dr. Harris."

Sophia's cheeks turn red and she looks down shyly. Feeling her stomach in knots, she takes a deep breath

"So, are you better then?" he asks eagerly.

"No, not better."

His eyes betray him, he looks distressed by her health and it makes her smile. "Is it serious?"

She nods. "Very." He's about to embrace her with great sadness but she stops him with a hand on his chest. "I'm pregnant."

He's eyes widen is great shock. "You're...?"

She smiles all her worries melting away, and by the look on his face his worries did so as well.

"My darling Sophia! You make me the happiest man alive!" he stands up in excitement and pulls her in, embracing her strongly, he showers her face with kisses, Sophia laughs as his kisses tickle her skin.