NINETEEN

Warning: Content may not be suitable for minors

Adam goes through different stages. At the stage of anger, he decides to go to Mona's thinking that perhaps he should get a mistress, his wife thought he had one, what difference would it make if he got one now? He enters the place he commonly attended with his friends before going to college, he knows the place very well. The smell of ash filled his nostrils, women in revealing outfits surrounded the men who were drinking and playing poker at the round tables. In the distance, behind a transparent red curtain, he sees his father enjoying a private dance.

Watching the shameless look on his father's face was enough to bring him to his senses. He turns towards the door rapidly deciding to talk things through with Sophia. In his rush, he fails to see a woman walking by and he bumps into her quite strongly. Adam starts to apologize when he sees who it is.

"Hello handsome," says Lucia. "Trouble in paradise?"

"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at the Nunnery?"

Lucia laughs. "I was rejected. Apparently I'm too much for them. Father wouldn't take me back so here I am. Home, sweet home."

"Does Sophia know you're back?"

"Sophia? No, why would she?" She leans forward giving him a mischievous smile. "Are you looking for company?"

"No, I was just leaving," he replies rapidly.

"Already? Come on, let me give you what my sister is not capable of giving you." Adam avoids her face and she laughs loudly. "I knew it would happen. Was she scared?"

The second stage, confusion. Adam turns to look at Lucia whose body was just as exquisite from five years ago. She was so tempting, so good looking, maybe he could just be with her for a few minutes, just enough to get his urges satisfied for the night.

"Sofia does not deserve you," continues Lucia flirtingly, bringing herself closer to him. "I knew Sophia could not be able to satisfy your every need. Not like I can." Her face is inches away from his, he can smell the bitterness of the smoke that her skin released. Lucia holds his face and she kisses him. Adam, realizing what he was doing, pulls back, shoves Lucia to the side and the last stage he goes through is guilt.

He runs half way from Mona's to his house. Exhausted and breathless, he slows down into a walk. He feels like an idiot. Now he understands Sophia's concern. It didn't take much to be at Mona's with Lucia's arms around him. He starts to jog in a steady pace as he sees his house. He needs to speak to Sophia and he isn't about to hold anything back.

҉ ҉ ҉

The minute he walks inside, he is welcomed by Sophia's arms around his neck.

"I am so sorry Adam. I shouldn't have doubted you," she whispers.

Adam can feel the weight of Lucia's kiss in his conscious, so he pulls her off. Sophia watches him confused.

"I kissed your sister," he blurts out.

Sophia steps back dazed. "What? But how?" she whispers shakily.

"I went to Mona's and there she was. She kissed me but I pulled away as fast as I could. Nothing else happened."

"I don't understand. Sophia's at St. Joseph's..." she trails off as she sees Adam shake his head lazily. "Oh." She turns giving Adam his back. "I appreciate your honesty." Is all she says when she starts walking up the stairs.

Adam rubs his eyes roughly. Her indifference hurt him more than anything. He wanted her to fall in love with him, but now, he had failed her and the pain was unbearable.