TWENTY THREE

Adam enters the bar room and finds his father yet again, at the same table, with the same men, playing cards. He orders a drink and as he waits patiently, he rubs his sleepy eyes. He's supposed to be on his way home, in fact, he was supposed to be back with his wife, two days ago. What was supposed to be a two week trip, has now turned to a three week holiday, and Adam wasn't exactly enjoying himself.

The hotel was grand and spectacular, which made him a bit excited, though it would be quite a lot for his father and him, he couldn't wait to take his plans and sketches back to the shop and start to work on the extravagantly rugged furniture. Technically, their job was done in a week, but since it had been too long since either of them had been in New York, his father requested they stayed a few extra days, they deserved it, he had said. But instead of spending it exploring New York, or attending the theatre, they were spent at the top floor of the West Hotel, in the bar room.

His father has always been a gambler, and quite a drinker as well. Adam disliked putting his fortune at risk, so he avoids it at all cost. It was very difficult to get his father away from the cards once he was deep in, so instead, Adam waits patiently at the bar, he doesn't dare to leave him alone.

"You seem a bit down," comments the bartender as he sets his drink in front of him.

Adam looks up and attempts a smile. "Just tired."

Tired wasn't the right word.

"You know," starts the bartender. "One of these girls will be more than happy to keep you company."

Adam looks around him, a few girls were walking around the gaming tables, giggling with some older men, others sitting on other men's laps looking on the game they played. Adam shakes his head, none of them were Sophia.

He stands decisively, his drink untouched and walks towards his father. He lays a hand on his shoulder firmly. "Father," he whispers. "It's time to go."

Mr. Lancaster looks at him incredulously. "What time is it?"

"It's late enough," he replies as he pulls his father's arm up supporting his weight.

"I have a game to finish," he replies slurring his words.

"Come on Mr. Adam, your father is in good company," says Mr. Carson, one of the hotel's owners, clearly sober.

Adam knew their intentions, he wasn't as naïve as they thought. "You are drunk and you need to lay down," he tells his father ignoring Mr. Carson. He manages to get him on his feet, his weight heavy on his shoulder.

"I was winning Adam, I had a full house," Mr. Lancaster whispers loudly.

"I do not want to know how much you've lost," he whispers back. "Come on, let's get you to your room." He half drags his father to the elevator, the elevator operator watches them judgingly, but turns away before Adam notices.

They arrive to their floor and Adam grabs the keys from his father's jacket but finds the door unlocked. He pushes the door open and finds the lamps already lighted. "Were you expecting anyone, father?" Adam asks as he cautiously walks inside, his father suddenly finds his strength and straightens, brushing his hair to the side.

"He's expecting me."

Adam turns to a woman casually walking out the bathroom, she only wore her undergarments. Adam shields his eyes politely.