THIRTY FOUR

Sophia holds Adams hand strongly as she watches her son's tomb. The memorial took place at the local cemetery, a week after their loss. There was no body, but an empty small casket. The epitaph simply read:

James Lancaster: Always Loved, Never Forgotten

Sophia wipes a tear from her eyes. Her mother, stands by her side trying to hold back her tears. It was a small private memorial. Only Adam's and Sophia's immediate family were present. Sophia could feel her heart healing slowly. Seeing the simple but true words on the tombstone made her smile. She knows that the baby will now know how much he was loved, and how much he was going to be loved if he was allowed more time. Organizing this memorial gave her some closure. God Giveth, God Taketh Away. Who was she to argue against it?

They make their way to Sophia's parents' house, who were hosting a dinner in James' honor.

"Thank you," Sophia whispers as she holds Adam's arm tightly. Her husband held her every night. Now she knows how lucky she truly was.

Adam gives her a smile.

Sophia smiles back knowing that words will only be moot. They learned so much from each other in these hard times that she feels like they have become closer. They now know more of each other than they knew themselves, and they both knew how far they were willing to go for each other no questions asked. Sophia feels safe, he was there to love her and protect her, and there isn't much she fears when he's by her side.

She suddenly feels his arm become tense. He comes to a halt, and squeezes her hand strongly. His eyes fixed on something ahead. Sophia follows his gaze and her heart drops.

Daniel and his wife are walking towards them, hand in hand. As if everything was just a horrible nightmare.

"Stay here," Adam says quietly but firmly.

Sophia freezes in place, memories clouding her head. But she forces herself to move when she realizes that Adam's angrily meeting them halfway.

Her parents walk past Daniel clueless about the incident. Mayor Smith covered his son's attempt saving their reputation, and Sophia didn't have the heart to tell them how her miscarriage really happened.

She rushes behind Adam before he does anything dangerous.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Adam says lividly as he approaches them. Valerie turns to her husband confused.

"I just want to pay my respects..."

"Don't you dare," Adam interrupts harshly. "You think you can hide what you did? Your wife doesn't know what kind of a monster she married?"

"Daniel? What is he talking about?" Valerie asks worriedly.

Daniel ignores her. "I didn't know she was expecting."

"And if you did then you would've just walked away, huh?"

Sophia could see Adam's intention, his hand curled into a fist, a vein on his forehead is now very visible. "Adam please," she whispers as she stands between Daniel and him.

"You think that just because you are the Mayor's bastard you can do what you like?!" Adam screams trying to reach for Daniel, but Sophia's in his way.

"No, stop, stop, Adam, calm down please," Sophia begs laying a hand on his chest firmly. But he seems so enthralled to insult Daniel, Sophia grabs his face and forces him to look at her. "Adam please calm down."