TWENTY TWO

"That was fast. I think you broke a record for the world's shortest marriage," was Lucia's welcoming words as Sophia stands astounded to see her, what she thought was her shunned sister.

"Lucia get away from the door!" she hears her mother's retort from somewhere inside.

Sophia makes her way inside avoiding her sister's stares. The last time she spoke to her was back at the nunnery and she was saying some really cruel things.

"Sophia! My happily married baby! Come here!" says Mrs. Willis as she wraps her arms around Sophia tightly. Sophia winces at her exclamation and fears how it made Lucia feel. "I was expecting you yesterday, why didn't you show up?"

"I wanted to do some cleaning, help Lily a bit," she replies referring to her maid.

"Ah, clean you say?"

"Yes. It's a big house, it can be so much work for just one person."

Her mother nods, "You could always hire another maid."

"Yes," Sophia replies. "I suppose I can."

"Don't be silly mother!" Lucia speaks from the open door. "Sophia loves the life of the common folk."

"I don't love it. I just don't see a problem with doing some housework." Sophia, unable to hold back for much longer she lastly asks turning to her sister. "When did you come back?"

Lucia sits on the couch with a smile. "A few weeks ago. They couldn't hold me at the nunnery, I was too much of a temptation for Father Louise."

Mrs. Willis gives Lucia a disapproving look but she ignores it.

Remembering what Adam had told her a few days back about finding her at a brothel, Sophia refrains from asking her any more questions.

"Lucia, sweetie, go make us a cup of tea, will you?" says their mother obviously trying to get rid of her. Lucia nods and smiles. Her smile disappearing when she thought she was no longer being watched.

"I can't believe that your husband would leave you on the lurch so soon after your wedding," she comments as she takes a seat where Lucia once sat.

"He didn't leave me on the lurch," Sophia couldn't help but defend her husband. "He had business to attend to."

Her mother smiles at her reply. "I'm so glad to see your marriage starting off right. Most arranged marriages have such a rocky start. You two seemed to have really liked each other from the beginning. I'm glad we got it right." She turns to look to the door thoughtfully. "I wish we had arranged your sister's. Maybe all these problems could've been avoided."

"Mom," starts Sophia carefully. "What exactly happened with Lucia?"

Her mom sighs and turns to look at her with sorrowful eyes. "She was no longer welcomed at the convent. For reasons too terrible to mention. Your father and I were not told, so we assumed she was still there. A few weeks ago, a friend told your father that he saw her at a brothel," she spits the word in disgust. "You father went to see if that was true, and there she was, laughing shamelessly with the men that surrounded her. It was disgusting. But we were forced to bring her back."

"Oh," was all Sophia could say in reply. It was so apparent how much Lucia's situation pained her.

"You speak like I am the only one that has done mistakes," Lucia's voice echoes through the library. "You are always taking about how ashamed of me you are. But what about Sophia huh?" Lucia slams the tray with the teapot on the desk. Her face red with anger. "She's always the immaculate daughter that you can't find any fault in. But when I told you about her running off in the dark to meet her lover, you ignore me and pretend I never said a word."