NINE

Adam feels perplexed and irritated. So that was what Lucia was speaking of? She used to sneak out with Daniel. Daniel? He never thought of him actually courting her, not only because he was married, but because he didn't seem the kind that would be so interested with a lady like Sophia. Sure, he was extremely moved by her back then, but Adam always thought it was a phase.

He shakes his head, but, he now knows Miss Sophia could not be just a phase. She was so brave admitting to something like that, with the risk of being demeaned. He could still feel her warm body shaking as she cried. He turns to look up at the stairs wondering what was taking her so long. She needed protection. She was young and someone needed to be with her and advise her about men. When she became available to be wed, her mother or chaperone could have warned her that now that the society knew she was age appropriate, that men would come and try to take advantage of her. He smiles to himself, now it was up to him to protect his soon to be wife, to be by her side and if anybody wanted to hurt her, he would be there like a shield against any harm.

Sophia appears from upstairs her red cheeks and tearful eyes makes him hold his breath. She makes her way down rapidly, minutes later, Daniel walks down after her with an anguished face. Sophia approaches Adam hurriedly.

"Pardon me for the delay," she whispers. Adam looks at her then at Daniel whose eyes never left Sophia. "Is he walking this way?" she asks afraid to see it herself.

"Did he bother you?" Adam asks feeling the anger rising from his chest.

"No, well, we spoke and ..."she pauses and holds his arm alarmed. "He is walking this way, isn't he?"

Adam, unable to hide his unease, pulls her behind him putting himself between Sophia and Daniel. "Daniel," he stretches his arms and gives him a quick embrace. "My friend, I thought you were already gone. The party sure does lure you in, doesn't it?"

Daniel smiles weakly. "Yes, well, I just wish to speak with Miss Willis, and I will be on my way. I have a message for her from my..."

"Your wife?" Adam interrupts succeeding on making Daniel's eyes leaving Sophia at last. "I'll love to hear the message, after all," he looks back at Sophia, "We are both going to become one shortly."

Adam could see Daniel feeling uncomfortable. "Of course you are. Well, she wishes you both well." He straightens and pulls the collar of his jacket up. "Now, I really must go, I will see you around Adam. Miss Willis," he says in a low voice. And he walks away without looking back.

He watches Sophia as she follows Daniel with her gaze, poor girl, he thinks, her first love turned out to be a fib.

"How did you manage to act so nonchalantly?" she asks with a hint of amazement in her voice.

"Well, I didn't want to create a scene in our engagement party, why? Did you prefer I hit him?"

"No, no," she gasps, the thought unfathomable. "It's just that, well, it is surprising how composed you are being."

He smiles, his ego went up to his chest listening to her amazement. A waiter walks by and Adam grabs two glasses from the platter, he hands one to Sophia. He raises it slightly. "To new beginnings?"

Sophia smiles and raises her glass. "To new beginnings."

After their quiet toast, Adam guides her to their table and pulling the chair for her, she takes it.

"I am famished," Sophia comments as the waiter helps her with her napkin.

Adam smiles agreeing. This has been too eventful for his taste. He watches her closely as she thanks the waiter after serving her dish. How did he not notice her before? He must've of been blind.

He looks around the ballroom, people were starting to go to their places to eat their dinner once they have developed an appetite. He sees couples with years of marriage taking their seats and he can't help but wonder what his married life will be like. Some couples, such as his parents, were very distant with each other. As if they grew so accustomed to each other's company, so much so that they became tired of each other. Is that what he has to look forward to? Quiet dinners, him coming home at whatever time barely seeing his wife at all through out the day? Discouraging her to speak her mind, to demand she keeps to her wifely duties, caring less and less about her by each passing day? He doesn't want that. Sure, he didn't want to be married in the first place, but now that he is going to be someone's husband, shouldn't he start thinking of what kind of husband he wants to be?

He watches her as she's having a vigorous conversation with Gilda, her chaperone. He doesn't want the marriage their parents had.

He then comes to the realization that from the second they both say their I dos, he will be in charge of her fortune, which is more than he had anticipated. His duty as a husband will be to support her and their future children economically. To make sure to provide them with everything they might need. Her duty as a wife will be to look after the house chores and the servants they are going to have. Not to mention the children they might have. Shouldn't he start his duty as soon as possible? Shouldn't he start providing for her?

He takes his napkin and a pen from his jacket. He starts doodling on it fervently as he gets the exciting feeling for what is to come.

"What are you drawing?" he hears Sophia ask curiously.

Adam grabs his finished work and tucks it in his pocket. "Nothing really. Just a doodle."

"Just a doodle? May I see your doodle?" she asks teasingly.

Adam shakes his head. "I can't show you. It will ruin the surprise."

Sophia raises her eyebrows. "Surprise you say, well I won't insist anymore."

"It would be for the best."

Sophia lets out a giggle making Adam smile. After seeing her crying so miserably, her laugh made him feel relieved that she was now happy.

For the rest of the evening, he danced with half the women of Lakewood, but his thoughts came back to the drawing on that napkin. His future home sketched clumsily in a piece of paper. He knew the perfect spot where to build it, the terrain was good and if he hired the right contractors, the house would be finished right before the wedding. He smiles to himself. Definitely, marrying Sophia is going to be an adventure on its own.