Chapter 4..

I immediately recognized that deep voice, and my head shot up to meet the silver gaze that I had dreamed of at nights. Jasper Whitlock's Confederate uniform was, as I was relieved to see, not nearly as blood-stained as most of the other ones, and he was standing up straight without any support. I was certain that he must have been born proud and graceful.

"Well, I have to thank you twice as much, then, Miss Ellwood." Mr Gibbs said grinningly, and I wondered how he knew my name, but I did not ask. "For you have not only saved my life, but also my general's. And it's hard finding one like him again."

Unbelievably I stared at Jasper Whitlock. General? At this age? Impressive indeed.

Made uncomfortable by his gratitude and Jasper Whitlock's presence, I finished attending his wound and straightened up again. Now that the moment I had dreamed of several times had finally occurred, I did not know what to do. Jasper Whitlock was here, yes, but what now? His presence disconcerted me, and I was only too aware of my appearance: My hair was hanging wildly around me, sweat running down my body and mixing with the blood.

I took a step towards him and wanted to look at his hurt arm, but he waved me off. "Take care of the severely wounded first, Miss Ellwood. I can wait."

I hurried down the steps to treat the soldiers in the garden now, and heard his steady, confident steps behind me. As I bent down to the next injured, I asked him, feeling his presence behind me: "What happened?"

"We are at war now, Miss Ellwood. The Souther Confederate States against the Northern Union. Battles aren't won by words, and bullets have a much deeper impact. Kentucky happens to be a border state, so it is a most dangerous area to be. If you somehow can, then get away from here."

"That had been my father's intention, but the armies were quicker. Who knows what will happen now. I doubt Father will tolerate battles on his grounds, and his grounds are the state. As you yourself have phrased, he is a patriot - and he will not tolerate the Southern States uprising."

"I would think he expects the same from you."

"Yes." I dared not look at him. Somehow, he managed anyways to see right down into my soul.

"But you are not sharing his opinion, for you hate to think of America as divided. You are readily helping both the fronts' soldiers here on the same estate, although you know that your father would not only disapprove would he be here, but also shoot every Confederate."

I jumped at his words, even though he had spoken them calmly, as if it were skirmish. I had never been so close to such brutal acts of war, and the thought of my father or anybody else killing men aside the battlefield was horrible.

I was done with treating the injuries, and turned to Jasper Whitlock so I could now take care of his wound. He seemed reluctant first, then he eventually let me.

"You and every other man able to walk should leave as soon as possible. I do not know when my father will come back."

"The others will, but I will stay. I won't leave even one of my men behind."

I admired him. It was foolish, of course, but who could help but admire such a man? They were rare enough.

"Have you got a possibility of getting your men back to your army?"

"There is no army left to return to, Miss Ellwood, at least none within fifty miles from here."

I looked at him in shock, and I saw the grim determination on his handsome face. I noticed that he shaved, despite the fashion of beards. It only emphasized his gorgeous face even more, I thought, biting my lips for such thoughts.