Chapter 25..

Georgiana's P.O.V.

"Even if I didn't owe you big time, Gina, I'd be in. Sounds like good fun kicking the Volturi's asses."

"Thank you, Leo." I smiled at the huge Russian opposite me. He was the last one to arrive today and be asked for help. It have been successful talks indeed, but more would follow - just not here, but in Forks. It was about time we'd get there.

"How are our chances?" Bella asked, and the worry was written plainly on her face.

Leo turned to her instead, a ready smile on his lips. "Not too bad, I would say. But it's difficult."

Bella turned to him, hooked right away. I could understand her - anybody who could tell her more details about the battle for her baby was welcome to her.

"You see, Bella." Leo started and turned towards her, some of the others listening. I, meanwhile, walked over to the window again and looked outside as Leo continued talking. "Let's compare this battle with Russian Roulette."

"Russian Roulette?!"

I shook my head silently. Leo and his metaphors.

"Yes, Russian Roulette. Two players; us and the Volturi. Each party has their gun and their bullet. The war is the gun; the instrument of shooting the bullet. They'll be sure to have one."

Bella nodded as Leo went on, using his hands to underline his words. "Gina and Jasper are our bullet." I listened up and turned my head towards Leo the same moment Jasper did. "Because together they're a pretty good bullet, Gina with the tactic and Jasper with the fighting. Consider them a larger calibre than the standard." Leo bent forward, his red-topaz eyes gleaming with excitement. "Sounds good so far, but don't forget that there's also the other party; the Volturi will have their bullet, and they're most likely to have a good one. We can only hope it's a smaller calibre than ours. The problem with Russian Roulette is that you never know your opponent, nor his weapon."

The house calmed down in the late evening, it became more quiet as everyone started to disperse over the various rooms, go into town, or out hunting. The whole day had been filled with visitors coming. Each and everyone I had to tell everything from the start - it might be straining, but it had a purpose; that way, every one felt special and worthy. I needed every support I could get. It was my luck that many of my friends owed me a favour, and would readily help me, like Leo.

When I was certain that nobody was watching me, I let myself fall onto my office chair and rested my head in my hands. I felt that this would be my last battle. I had enough of this existence, enough of missing my husband every day with such fierce pain that it destroyed me little by little.

My children didn't need me anymore, I had fulfilled my purpose. I would keep Renesmee safe and give the Volturi something to remember me by - knowing it would cost me my life.

"You would have made a good general."

My head shot up and I looked at Jasper, who leaned against the door frame. He had a presence that was not importunate, but definitely intriguing and engaging. He could make anybody listen without ever saying anything - and I found myself strangely docile in his presence. It had nothing to do with his ability.

"I was a general's wife, a general's daughter..." I shrugged and stood up. "I suppose you pick up the one or other trait in the process."

Jasper changed topic abruptly, scrutinizing me with an intent gaze that caused a strange shiver to run down my spine. "When was the last time you let yourself go?"

"Excuse me?"

"For how long have you not given up the lead, but controlled everything yourself?"