Chapter 16..

12th March 1865

I am so exhausted. This journey is straining me, and I am longing for Jasper more than I ever had.

We are currently residing in an inn in Southville, and we will reach Charleston tomorrow. How I long for a hot bath, fresh clothes, a long night of sleep... my husband.

Nobody can imagine what it feels like being addressed, finally, with Mrs Whitlock. Georgiana Lisette Whitlock. Furthermore, it is surprising with what kindness people meet me here as soon as they hear my name. My husband (does it not sound so glorious?), it seems, is a hero in the South. Not that it surprises me, no!

Oh, how I long to see him... Mike says he will arrive tomorrow evening. I can barely wait!

...§...

Georgiana's P.O.V.

"My lady, your residence." Mike said and gestured toward a grand villa. I would have never thought Jasper in possession of such a jewel. "I wish you farewell, and that we might meet again." He lifted my hand and kissed it.

"Thank you so very much for that you have done for me and my children, Mike. My best regards to your wife and daughters. May you return safely to them."

"I thank you, Georgiana." Then he waved goodbye and sped down the road, and I dismounted Caesar, who would need a long rest now after these straining days of travelling. Before I even as much as moved towards the gate, there already was a young man there to open it. He welcomed me with a bright smile, the white of his teeth was a strong contrast to his almost black skin. "Good day, your ladyship."

"You do not need to be so very formal, Mrs Whitlock will do." I waved him off, a little embarrassed. "May I know who I have the pleasure with?"

"Oh, my lady, you need not treat me so nobly. I am but a slave."

"You are a human worth being treated with respect." For the first time I realized what Jasper was fighting for, and what my family's opinion was on the matter of slavery... It was so contradicting.

The young man looked at me as if I had told him that the bible was written by myself. Some things would have to change in this household. After all, it now had a Union woman under its roof.

"I am Robert, my lady." He finally said, and bowed again as I walked onto my premises. Jasper certainly had not exaggerated when he had told me he'd have enough money to last us two life times. I still could not believe that this was ours...

"Robert, would you kindly take care of my horse? He has a long journey behind him."

"Of course, my lady."

I then climbed up the stairs to the grand entrance door. I wondered whether Jasper came from a noble family, or if all this was his alone, built on everything that he alone had built up for himself. It would not surprise me. With his talent to feel what the people feel, to know what they need, he was bound to make it very, very far.

"Who would have thought your father has a different side than that of a modest soldier? This has to be the most splendid house I have ever seen." I murmured. Only a moment later, as I was still examining the entrance hall, another servant came hustled by. "Mrs Whitlock!"

"That I am." I smiled kindly at the stout, kind looking woman.

"We are all so pleased to welcome you here. Master Whitlock has given us notice to prepare everything for his wife's and children's arrival, so it is all ready." The surprise at her master's mention of a wife and children was still obvious on her face. She seemed to burst with questions that she did not dare ask, but eventually, her curiosity got the better of her. "To think that Master Whitlock has gotten married, and has two children, too!"