Chapter 7..

Georgiana had been a virgin, that Jasper was sure of. And he had taken that virtue from her.

He should feel regret, but he didn't. He had made love to the woman that entranced him, and a desirous woman it was. He wondered whether she had a fiancee. Whose wedding night had he robbed yesterday? Jasper felt an unexplainable feeling of jealousy at the thought of another man in Georgiana's life. That was completely insane, of course, since he would never be able to be with her in any way. Yet the mere thought of an other man holding her in his arms, making love to her... ignited a fierce sense of protectiveness in him.

Normally, Jasper never stayed with the women he slept with longer than necessary, but he had lain with Georgiana the whole night, and did not leave her side even as the sun started to rise and light began to fall through the tent cloth. Instead, he cherished at the sight of Georgiana in his arms. She was a true beauty, not like the fragile, sensitive and prude high society missies, but a proper, strong and determined woman. Her body was warm and soft, her skin smooth and her breath steady. She smiled in her sleep, and she rested her hands against his chest, nuzzling her head against his neck. He hated to admit this, but he felt touched by a strange warmth within him at this unconditional and unfounded trust and intimacy. Jasper had given Georgiana no promises, no prospect, nothing - yet she had risked everything for him.

Jasper ran a hand through her hair, stroking back a strand of hair from her shoulder. She muttered something and began to stir.

Georgiana's P.O.V.

I had never been stupider than yesterday night, yet I had never been happier. I had never felt so fulfilled as I did now, and I thought I would explode from the warmth within me. Last night had been the best one of my life, and I wish it would have gone on forever.

As it was with good things, however, they come to an end. With the end came the realization what I had done.

I had slept with a man who was not only not my husband, but also my family's enemy. And not only once, but six times. With a camp of Confederates able to listen.

Knowing that the magic would be over as soon as I opened my eyes, I looked at Jasper, who held me in his arms. It felt good to have him protectively beside me. I could see the desire in his eyes, and I invitingly opened my body to him.

His lips came on mine again, and he got on top of me for the seventh time, and silent tears ran down my cheek when I recalled that it would be the last time. It hard been hard to live without Jasper before this happened, now it would be sheer unbearable. The mere thought of never seeing him again...

"I'll go and talk to my men. I will be back in one moment." Jasper said and kissed my forehead, got dressed and left the tent. I was sure to have seen the slightest bit of sorrow in his eyes... but maybe I had imagined it. What assured me that I was not simply a conquest for him, used so he could pride himself having had the Union General's daughter, that stupid thing? An easy bait I've been.

I forced back tears as I pulled on my clothes again. Despite it having been a cold, stormy night yesterday, I had never felt hotter than when I had nakedly lain with Jasper.

I winced from the unknown pain in my lower torso, and had to struggle not to just lie down again. I tied the strings of my corset, loser than usual, since I had nobody to help me get them really tight, shrugged on the jacket and then followed Jasper outside. The air was cold and clear, and the mist still hung over the ground. It was such a peaceful scene that it seemed unbelievable that just miles away there were terrible crimes being committed.

I let my gaze wander, and was glad to see that most of the men still slept. I would have been so ashamed to look into the eyes of any of them...

Then I saw Jasper as he talked with two of his men, and a third one rode towards them and joined them. For a strange reason, he seemed familiar to me, and I was still trying to make out why when the party broke apart and dispersed int various directions. Jasper came towards me, but I was not focused on him.

Rebel  (Civil War Period)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara