Chapter 22

Before she could finish her sentence, Edward growled and stood up precisely the moment that the door flew open. "Georgiana Ellwood."

"I didn't hear you knock." Georgiana remarked coldly and walked towards the intruder as if she had nothing to fear of him. Only Bella and Edward noticed how she barely noticeably pushed herself before Felicity and Renesmee. Only they heard her hissing to her daughter: "Keep the girl out of reach."

Meeting the intruder's arrogant look, Georgiana stood proudly before him, coldly watching him. "Since you've ruined my mood already, you might as well tell me why I will kick you out." Alice had to stifle a laughter at her words. They did not fit into the picture they had just gotten of Georgiana Ellwood, and the stunned look of the other vampire was priceless.

He caught himself quickly. "Normally, I would have come to avenge my men who you killed."

"You need to be more specific than that."

"Hudsonville, 2000."

"Oh, that." Georgiana smiled humorlessly. "But that would be normally. So why are you here now?"

"To give you the choice between life and death."

"I never had that choice. Why would you be able to offer it to me?" She replied in a voice like steel. Ice cold steel.

"Give up your network of recruits immediately or you will face execution."

"Why such drastic measurements? Is somebody afraid of me?" A satisfied grin crept onto Georgiana's face, and her muscles tensed unnoticeably. She was prepared to lunge for the vampire's throat any moment. "Let me guess; you're sent by the Volturi."

"Correct, Ellwood. So here's the ultimatum; help them in their war against the rebels, or you will be executed."

"As I think you are aware, I lived during the Civil War...which leads to me having certain tendencies. One of them being my hatred of mercenaries, so I will most surely not work for anybody, especially not a clan muddling with my business. Apart from that; I had always fancied the rebels." Her teeth glinted in the light of the lamps, and her smile was nothing but dangerous. "So here's your choice: Leave my premises this instant and go tell your master that I herewith accept his declaration of war, or stay and die."

"I've been warned you wouldn't be easy to persuade."

"I am not to be persuaded. Now make your choice."

"I'm afraid that matters look slightly different. It is not up to you to make any conditions." He replied with a cold smile, and two other vampires appeared at his side. "For Aro commanded that once you made your decision, you were to be killed."

"And he sent three of you to do that? How cute." Georgiana hissed, and only now the Cullen family saw the ruthless killer in her, the part of her that made her one of the most powerful vampires.. "Now here's my last warning; Get lost this instant."

They didn't move. Georgiana softly called to Renesmee: "Close your eyes, child." Then, one of them jumped forward, only to have his throat ripped open. Disgusted, Georgiana let the lifeless body fall to the ground, then called to her daughter: "Felicity, get the child away."

One second later, she was already attacked by the second vampire, him too dead within an instant. The last one was not as easy - Georgiana was thrown on her desk by the force of the collision of their bodies, and Emmet and Jasper jumped up the same instant to come to her aid. They did not even come one step closer to her when Georgiana had already pinned the vampire to the wall, ready to kill.

"You're really going to murder me before the child?" He nodded with an arrogant smile towards the watching Renesmee, who had just opened her eyes again after Georgiana had told her to close them. Bella threw a pleading, shocked look at Georgiana, and Renesmee's brown eyes softened her heart, reminding it of other times...