Chapter 30..

There was one second when nothing moved, when no sound was made.

Then Georgiana lurched forward the same moment Maria did, and the two of them collided with howls of anger and hatred. Jasper wanted to move forward and take Maria down himself, but knowing Georgiana he also knew that this was her battle, and that she wanted her revenge. She would not give up fighting Maria to anyone. Even if it destroyed her.

Georgiana had entered this war planning to destroy her enemy along with herself - but now she had reason again to live. She did not want to die anymore, not now that her world was about the be restored... her children had a father, she had a husband... She could not die anymore. Whether or not she could escape the trap she had laid for herself or not, however, was still written in the stars.

One powerful weapon had been handed to her, however; love. And therewith her fighting spirit.

"You seriously think you have a chance against me?" Maria screeched, madness in her eyes. "When was the last time you actually fought a battle yourself and not sent forward your lackeys? A century ago?"

Georgiana didn't reply, but hauled Maria off of her, sending her several metres in the opposite direction.

"Face it, bitch, you have no chance against me." Maria hissed, burying her claws deeply into Georgiana's arms, only to be kicked away. She had left deep wounds on her opponent anyhow.

Jasper could just stand by and watch helplessly. Maria was the best fighter he had ever encountered, there was no denying in that. There was nothing he'd rather do than take Georgiana's place so that she would be safe, and then he'd fight Maria. Whether or not he survived it wouldn't matter then - as long as his beloved wife would be safe and alive.

"One should never make the mistake of underestimating women." Aro said as if he were commenting a football match. "They can turn out to be the fiercest fighters."

"What do you think you hold against me?" Maria taunted, having ripped a deep hole into Georgiana's side - blood was staining her shirt, the spot quickly growing larger. It would have knocked out the toughest of fighters.

Felicity watched her mother numbly. All her life, she had seen her strong and controlling, but never revealing emotions. The woman fighting there now was someone different; Felicity felt that it was the woman her mother had been before her world had shattered. And she was stronger than the ghost her mother had become.

Jasper prepared to lunge forward when Georgiana was cowering on the ground, her blood drenching the grass below her. However, she did not even flinch at the pain, but just jumped up again in a movement too fast for even vampires to perceive - and a second later, she held Maria, who was already light-headed from her alleged victory, firmly in her grasp, her deadly teeth near to her throat.

"If you would have saved your energy for thinking instead of whining, you might have seen that it's not the wings of the eagle which kill the mouse." Georgiana hissed quietly. "So here's the answer to your question: An eagle with broken wings uses its beak."

Therewith she sank her teeth into Maria's throat, ripping her apart mercilessly.

Bella turned Renesmee away so that she would not see, while the Volturi wsere looking at the scene in interested but shocked surprise. Never would they have expected an outcome like this, and they were glad now that they had not joined this war alongside Maria, but had just given her the pretext she needed.

"Leave." Georgiana growled, the pain making her worse than ill-tempered. Aro didn't need telling twice, and waved for retreat.

Georgiana watched them leave, then she turned her eyes on Jasper - and she did not see topaz eyes looking back to her, but silver ones.