Chapter 20..

Forks, Washington, 2009

"We don't stand the slightest chance." Bella said despairingly. "We neither have the numbers to meet them nor the necessary skill to defeat them!"

The Volturi were coming for her child - or that was, at least, the reason for their declaration of war on all vampires not part of their coven. Those numbers were extremely thin.

"Maybe they change their mind." Emmet said lamely. They all knew that they wouldn't.

"Even if you can prove that Renesmee is not a vampire child they will not undo their declaration of war." Jasper said, his eyes blazing. "She is not the only reason the Volturi want to eliminate us."

"What other reason would there be?" Bella screeched. She feared for her child, for her family. She was so helpless - there was nothing she could do. "We stand alone against a giant coven!"

"Well, there is one vampire...." Emmet started, and for once, he looked thoughtful. His family turned around to look at him, not used to such serious a tone from him. "One I would consider quite powerful, and she is not part of the Volturi clan. She might help."

"What interest would she have in helping us?"

"Dear Gina is not necessarily a predictable woman, and she can achieve things that seem impossible at first. She isn't bound to anybody, and from what I hear, she is quite influential and powerful. It's worth a try."

The Cullen family looked each other. "Indeed it is. Where does she live?" Edward asked.

"Charleston, South Carolina."

Jasper flinched unnoticeably. Charleston. The town where he had lost everything he loved. Bella seemed to have other concerns. "Charleston? She couldn't find a sunnier place than that?"

"As I said, Gina is not the ordinary woman - and I warn you beforehand. Her methods might seem a bit...unconventional. Civil War people. They're weird that way." Emmet shrugged with a grin, earning himself a well-aimed punch from Jasper.

So they made their way to Charleston, and Bella wondered about this woman who seemed so difficult to describe. From all that she knew, she imagined her to be a middle-aged, small and masculine woman, with short hair and hard lines around her mouth. She wondered what made her so powerful, and what exactly her power was and how far it reached - would it be enough to keep the Volturi away from her baby?

"Wow. She couldn't find a size smaller, could she?" Alice whistled as they stood before a grand villa, standing imposingly at the end of the driveway. It was coated in darkness, but behind several windows light was shining through the curtains.

"Before we go..." Emmet said, and had the thoughtful tone again. "Gina might seem a bit bitter and radical, but don't be deceived. She has a bigger heart than one would account her, and is sweeter-tempered than she shows. Just so you're warned."

"Very promising, Emmet." Jasper growled. A difficult woman was the last thing he needed now. Love was last on the list of things he wanted to think about, always had been for 140 years. Ever since he had lost his beloved wife.

This house triggered something in him, though he could not say what. The way it was perfectly preserved, although being at least as old as he was, was a sign of great affection of the owner.

"Oh, you would have fun with her." Emmet grinned. Gina would be exactly what Jasper needed; one to match not only his sullen mood but also his fighting skills. Emmet was spared from Jasper's attack by the door being opened and revealing a young woman.

"Hullo, there, Emmet. Long time no see." She beamed. Esme quietly gasped for breath - for a second, she had been sure to see Jasper in the doorway. The young woman looked unbelievably like him, his female counter piece.