Chapter 9..

Dry leaves were kicked up by Caesar's hooves as he galloped over the forest path, sun light falling through the thick leaf roof of the trees. The wind in my face felt relieving, as if it would take my sorrow with it. The steady rhythm of the horse set me into some kind of trance, and it was one of the rare moments I was actually close to happiness.

Why did I have to fall in love with a Confederate General, of all men in this world? Could I not just have a simple love like Marianne's?

No, the voice in my head told me. Because you are not as simple as Marianne, and neither is Jasper. You could never be happy with an ordinary life.

Throughout the sound of my galloping horse I heard something else, and instinctively, I stopped. Of course, this was a stupid idea, but I could hardly think straight these past months. I let my gaze wander over my surrounding, taking in every branch, every single leaf.

Despite me seeing nothing, I felt watched. It only occurred to me now that I had blindly ridden somewhere, without the slightest measurement of precaution. Since when was I so stupid? Probably ever since reason had disappeared from my life, which was the same moment Jasper appeared in it.

I knew it would be pointless against a bullet, but I drew the rapier I always hid underneath the saddle out, still suspiciously eyeing the forest.

No P.O.V.

Only one woman would be found armed and ready to strike, and only one woman's sharp senses would have perceived his men's well-hidden presences. Of course, there was also only one woman ignorant and brave enough to ride out alone during a war. Georgiana.

Jasper did not know what to feel.

When Gibbs asked him whether to attack or not, he had signalled him to wait. He had no idea whom they had circled then, but a voice within told him to see for himself first.

And there Georgiana was in all her beauty and strength. It was plain to see that she was exhausted inwardly, but her fierce expression and the unmistakable message she sent out - I will be no easy victim - made her seem invincible. Jasper had the impression that nothing would shake this woman.

"Retreat to the base camp." He muttered to Gibbs, ignoring the man's surprised expression. "She will not be harmed."

"Aye, General. May I remark, however, that she would be an excellent hostage, worth at least fifty of our own men. I agree that you saved her life last time, but you should start to think about winning this war, not that woman."

Luckily, Gibbs disappeared quickly enough as to not experience Jasper's anger. It wasn't his lieutenant he was angry at, though, but himself; for realising that Gibbs was right. Georgiana diverted him from the obvious facts, and those were that he could easily capture her and then exchange her for fifty of his men at least.

After the others have silently disappeared to the base camp and it was only Jasper left, he slowly walked towards Georgiana before he even realised what he was doing. He was simply drawn to her, and could not restrain from her.

Georgiana's head whirled around to him, her thick auburn curls flying, and her green feline eyes blazing with the quiet sense of fear. This disappeared all too quickly, though, when she saw him.

"Jasper." She breathed, her weapon disappearing underneath her saddle again, and she dismounted her horse energetically. Georgiana wanted nothing more than to run towards her love and jump into his arms, but she knew that she could not expect Jasper to feel the same passion towards her that she felt for him. So she struggled with herself to stand still by her horse's side.

"Georgiana. I am surprised to see you here." He wanted to tell her how much he loved her, how he had missed her, how glad he was to see her again, but none of these words ever left his lips. He wished he could somehow tell her... but was not willing to admit those facts to himself. So Jasper thought he could fool himself by keeping the truth from Georgiana.