Chapter 24..

No P.O.V.

Jasper looked at the woman before him, and the silence between them felt somehow comfortable. He knew that she did not approve of his intrusion into her privacy and his meddling with her feelings, but he wanted to at least grant Georgiana a sense of contentedness, if not happiness. That she could only achieve herself.

Georgiana seemed lost for good, however - nobody would be able to draw her back from the black hole that had become her existence. She had been dwelling in grief and bitterness for too long.

Abruptly, she stood up and walked behind her desk, getting out a world map. "It might be useful to know how the allegiances are divided... and where we can get more support from."

Jasper thought it would be right to advise Georgiana to rest - vampires were unable to get tired, but nonetheless it was hard even for them constantly working. However, he had done without warfare for so long that he was almost starting to miss it, no matter how much it had cost him. His wife, his humanity...

Only now that he was so close to her, scrutinizing the map at her side, did he see that the sorrow was not only inside of her - her eyes were fierce, but she could not hide the inner destruction behind them from him.

"I can cover South America... Did not Carlisle say that he knew Amazons there?"

"Indeed."

Georgiana threw a sideways glance at Jasper. He certainly was no man of words, but she had never quite fancied those. She preferred men who acted, who stood their word, who were quick to react, and who didn't have scruples when it came down to it.... again her heart stung. She ignored the pain and concentrated on the actual matter.

"That would leave Russia, Scandinavia..." She kept on listing countries, and they discussed their likely loyalty. Jasper was impressed by her knowledge, her tactical skill - but he longed to know the woman Georgiana had been before all feeling had gone from her. Somewhere in his heart he was sure that she had been a passionate young woman, knowing what love was.

"I estimate that I can persuade around fifty to stand on our side. Whether they will merely witness Renesmee's growth or also fight if necessary, I cannot guarantee."

"There is still the slightest chance that the Volturi will lay down their claim."

Georgiana raised her eyes to Jasper, a faint smile on her lips. He wondered what shade of green her eyes had been before she had been Changed...and how she became a vampire. Who had Changed her and then left her alone?

"We both know that chance is near zero."

"Of course. But even the slightest chance is still a possibility."

Georgiana inwardly sighed at this confidence. Jasper was so much of what she missed... She shook her head to chase the feeling away.

"Let it be. We won't get any further tonight." Normally, concern annoyed her, as she saw it as a sign of weakness. Not now - Jasper managed to sound proud doing it, and she wondered whether he had been a general in his life time. She'd have to ask him one day. "Rest, Georgiana."

She hadn't listened to her children. But she listened to Jasper.

Bella came down the next morning as the last one, with Renesmee at her hand, finding the others in the living room. Except for Carlisle and Esme, who had left earlier to call on some friends.

It surprised Bella how modern, but nonetheless classic the rooms were furnished. She would have never accounted Georgiana such a fine sense of style.

"Good morning, Bella." Georgiana nodded at her and surprised Bella once again. Georgiana managed to make anybody feel like the most special person on earth, merely by giving them their attention.