Chapter 28..

No P.O.V.

"Long night?" Emmet asked with a sly grin when Jasper entered the living room the next day.

"Not that I know of." He hissed back.

"Right. It just appears very short when one amuses himself."

Jasper growled and would have lunged for his brother, but could not be bothered. He would need his energy later on.

"Okay, slight change in plan, boys." Alice entered, Georgiana directly behind her. They were two very different women, but each skilled in their business. Jasper did not even really perceive Alice, although she definitely had the more attention attracting aura with her bubbliness. Georgiana was proud, dignified and beautiful in her own way, and he found himself admiring her every motion, however slight it might be. He longed to hold her again, and strangely, he wondered how it felt to sense her heart beat under his hands...

"The Volturi will arrive today." Georgiana said, and her voice was strangely calm.

"That is a change in plan indeed." Emmet remarked. "Do Edward and Bella know?"

"Yes, they do, and Bella is currently upstairs losing her head." Georgiana remarked drily.

Emmet raised his eyebrows, theatrically being surprised. "Georgiana! I am shocked! Has that just been the hint of a dark, sarcastic joke?"

"Just because I never fool around does not mean I don't know how to." Her tone was as dry and cool as before, and it was obvious that her thoughts were already off to the battle. "Anyhow, that is completely off the point. So get ready. We have one hour."

Georgiana's P.O.V.

I stood motionlessly in the empty living room, looking out onto the busy yard.

I didn't fear death. I even welcomed it, as it would finally release me from this torturous, lonely existence. I had never wished to live without my husband, yet I had been cursed to be immortal.

I would meet the Volturi's weapon, whatever or whoever it might be, and I would take it down with me. The only thing I was concerned about was that I had lost my will to fight - all my ability to combat had always been nourished from my need, my anger, my hatred. Now I felt nothing anymore. Would my mere skill be enough to kill my opponent as I died? It had to.

I would not let regret creep into my mind - regret about leaving Jasper. Had he entered my life earlier, he might have changed the outcome of my life.

I shook my head. If, if, if. It was no use. The things were as they were and could not be changed, end of story.

Strong hands were laid on my shoulders, and I felt Jasper's lips on my neck. His kiss was more tender than I would believe a man like him being capable of.

"Don't, Georgiana." He simply said, and I knew that he had looked into the depths of my empty soul and seen what I intended. He nearly persuaded me then.

"I have to, Jasper." I whispered back. "They won't simply pull out without having their war. Their claim because of Renesmee won't hold, we both know that. Aro might be talked into leaving, but I am sure they have brought other vampires with them, some that won't be convinced as easily." My voice threatened to break, so I fell silent.

"Georgiana." Jasper tenderly stroked back a strand of hair from my shoulder, so that my neck was bare for him to kiss it again. "There will be another way. And do not forget that you don't stand alone."

"I wouldn't want any of them to die when I can prevent it."

Jasper whirled me around, pressing his lips demandingly on mine. I didn't protest.

"Nobody needs to die, Georgiana." He said firmly, intently looking into my eyes. I almost believed him.

No P.O.V.

Edward waited a few moments before he entered the living room. He did not want to take the time from Georgiana and Jasper that they had together; it was the only time that they ever seemed content, maybe even a little happy.

Georgiana had apparently sensed his presence, as she now thought: Edward, please have an eye on my children once I can't anymore.

He hoped that it would not come this far, but he entered the room nonetheless and solemnly said: "I will, Georgiana. That I promise you."

She looked at him with eyes that already revealed the broken soul inside of her; lifeless, apathetic, maybe even looking forward to death. Georgiana was no longer the proud warrior, but a fallen angel, crushed and never to rise again. "Thank you."

Jasper did not know what they were talking about, but he could vaguely guess. He had his arm around Georgiana's waist, giving her more support than he knew. Georgiana shook off her temporary attack of weakness and stood proudly again, but even her determined, elegant stride could not chase away the image of a broken-hearted goddess who forgot how to love and fight.

Georgiana descended the few steps from the porch onto the yard quickly, following the others who had already gone to where they would meet the Volturi. Bella and Renesmee were still there, waiting for Edward to join them. Georgiana wouldn't have believed it possible for her to still perceive the sting it gave her to see a whole, happy family... She was yet wondering why fate had ripped all that from her so cruelly. She saw no reason, no purpose. Was it a punishment for all she'd done to her family in order to be with the man she loved, and to raise their children? Was an eternity of pain, of slowly dying, the price she had to pay?

Georgiana shook her head. It didn't matter now, not anymore.

............................................................

VOTE & COMMENTS..?