Chapter 18..

14th June 1865

I think I will die. It has been weeks since my husband, my beloved Jasper had died, and none of the pain had eased. It grew stronger every day. Why had I not felt it when he died, somewhere in my heart? Why could I still not believe he was dead?

How will it go on?

...§...

18th June 1865

I cannot feel anything anymore. Pain has made me numb. Every night I feel the black hole inside me devouring me.

But then I look at my children and force myself not to waste away. I had done so much for them, I would go even further.

The accounts have me worried. Jasper had been wealthy indeed, but I only now see the problems of being rich. All his wealth would legally go to me, and I technically wouldn't have to worry about money. However, the Union threatens to claim the riches of Confederates as compensations for their damages. Those soldiers still alive can defend their wealth, but with my husband being dead I have little chance of keeping the money, the house...

What future will I be able to give my children once we would be penniless?

...§...

Georgiana's P.O.V.

"Mrs Whitlock?" I rose my head from the documents I had been studying and saw Susan waiting in the doorway. It hurt me to hear Jasper's last name and being addressed with it, but at the same time, it soothed me.

I pushed the papers away. I was corresponding with the people in charge about a peace treaty, or anything that would draw a finite line under this war that had cost me so much. I was eager to finally end the last of remaining issues, but since I was but a general's wife, I had not as much as influence as I wished I had. All I could do was influence the people who had the influence.

"A letter has arrived for you. It is from Mr Whitlock's brother."

I tensed and took the letter from her. I knew from the little bit of information Jasper had told me that his brother and he had not been on best of terms. Richard Whitlock was the older one of them, but had not even been nearly as successful in the army as his younger brother. The stranger it was that their stepfather preferred Richard, and had never loved Jasper as he should - Jasper had told me all of this unmoved; long detached from his family and untouchable from their repudiation.

"When I was seventeen, I went to enter the army. It was before the war started. I wanted to get away from my family, and they were glad to see me go. Ever since I had not been in contact with them. I am dead to them, just as they are dead to me." I clearly saw Jasper before my inner eye, how he had elegantly rode beside me in the morning light and told me about his family. "My family had never been whole after my father Jonathan died and my mother remarried."

I had believed myself lucky then to have such a loving family - but what had I done with it? Wrecked it.

Frowning as I broke the seal of the letter, I wondered what Richard Whitlock could want of me.

Dear sister-in-law Georgiana Whitlock,

I write to you in the matter of my late brother's legacy. According to the law, all his wealth will fall into my family's hands, and we will be as generous as grant you an annual payment and a cottage near Southville where you will live with your children.

My solicitor will take care of all the proceedings, you shall not be burdened with anything.

Yours sincerely,