Life, Love & Cupcakes 13.

When Sam and I reached the sink, we decided that he would wash the dishes and I would dry them.

"Well, now that we're alone," Sam sighed, "what is this favour Mr Buckle wants from you?"

"Oh, yeah," I chuckled. In the midst of all the chaos at the table, I had completely forgotten that Sam was worried about my talk with Mr Buckle. "I...can't tell you," I smiled cheekily.

Sam was taken aback, but he didn't complain. He just said, "Oh, really?"

"Sorry, I'm sworn to secrecy," I told him. "But it's nothing bad. In fact...I can probably ask him if you can help, too!"

Sam looked shocked, and I guessed all his fears of Mr Buckle's 'favour' being sexual had vanished. After all, I highly doubted he would want Sam involved if it was anything like that.

"I...I guess that would be cool?" Sam laughed.

"It would be awesome! Trust me." I grabbed a plate Sam had just washed and started to dry it with a blue tea towel.

"You've got me all curious, now," Sam whinged. "I really want to know what you're getting me into."

"You'll like it," I grinned. "It's definitely your kind of thing."

Sam looked down at me and frowned. "Is that all I'm going to get out of you?"

"I'm afraid so," I sighed. I put the plate down and started the dry the next wet one.

"Well. I guess that'll have to do, then." Sam shook his head and got back to washing up.

After washing and drying about ten more plates, he stepped back and stretched. "What are you doing?" I laughed.

"I'm on my break, if that's alright with you," he said pointedly.

I laughed and replied, "We've only been doing this for five minutes. Lazy much?"

Sam grinned. "Hey, easy on the lazy jokes! If we were fixing a car or something, you'd be the one having a break."

I stopped drying and turned to face him. "Excuse me?" I growled, but I was still laughing. All of our arguments were playful, and we never meant anything from them. That didn't mean I ever let him win them, though. "Well, that's a tad sexist."

Sam smirked and said, "It's just a natural fact. You're better at cleaning and washing than I am, because..."

"Because what? Because I'm a girl?" I looked at him challengingly.

"Your words, not mine," Sam said cunningly.

I glared at him and put my hands behind my back. That way, he wouldn't be able to see me twisting the tea towel into a whip. "Smart alec," I grumbled.

Sam shrugged. "Everyone knows that guys are stronger than girls, Bek."

"Oh, yeah?" I asked, feeling the tea towel getting tighter and tighter as I twisted it. "And I'm guessing you're all faster than us, too?"

Sam nodded. "Of course."

"And smarter?"

"Most definitely."

"And sneakier?" I asked, moving my 'whip' so I could get a better aim.

"Yes," Sam grinned. Suddenly, his smile disappeared. "Wait, what?"

"Aha!" I cried, leaping at him and hitting him a few times with the tea towel. I had the element of surprise, but it wasn't long before he started to dodge my attacks. In one swift movement, he grabbed the other end of the tea towel and yanked it out of my hand. He grinned and started to move closer to me.