Life, Love & Cupcakes 24.

I decided not to say good bye to everyone. It would be too hard, and besides, I would be seeing them back at school anyway. After packing my suitcase and getting together Cupakes' belongings, I met Mr Buckle in the car park. Cupcakes was walking silently behind him.

"Are you sure you want to leave?" Mr Buckle asked, picking up my bags.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I mean, it's not like you'll need me for anything else, right?" When he gave me a strange look, I frowned. "Right?"

"I suppose not," he said slowly. "I mean...I don't mind whether you go or not."

I looked at his face, studying his features. Even though he was looking down at me, I could see that he wasn't looking directly into my eyes. "Are you lying?" I asked him suspiciously.

He gave me an incredulous look. "How can you tell?"

"It's your eyes," I told him. "They gave it away."

He let out a small laugh, then he squeezed his eyes shut. "How about now?"

"Now..." I raised an eyebrow. "Well, now you just look silly."

He laughed and looked at me again. "Okay, I'll admit it. I'll miss you."

I looked down shyly, unsure of what to say. "I'll...I'll see you back at school though, right?" I finally asked. When he didn't answer, I gazed at him in confusion.

"How are you getting home?" He asked, obviously wanting to change the subject.

"Oh." I frowned. I hadn't thought of that. "Can't you take me?"

"I wish I could, but I'm afraid that's impossible," he said sadly. "We could both get in a lot of trouble from it."

"Then...can one of the other teachers take me?" I asked, trying to hide my disappointment.

"I can take her," someone said suddenly. I looked around us, searching for the owner of the voice, and I saw Sam step out from behind a nearby car.

"Sam?" I asked, feeling my heart drop ten feet. Only a couple of hours ago, he had made me feel terrible. Why was he here now, offering to help me?

"I don't think that's a good idea," Mr Buckle said firmly. "Not after what's happened between you two."

Sam let out a dry laugh. "What's happened between us two?" He repeated. "I don't think it's us two you need to worry about."

Mr Buckle frowned. "I don't know what you're talking about." Since they were both the same height, I could tell it was hard for either of them to be intimidating to the other.

Sam leaned in closer and looked at him menacingly. "I know what you're up to, Buckle. Don't go around acting like you're perfect, because you and I both know you're not."

"Are you trying to threaten me?" Mr Buckle growled, just as menacingly. "Because, if you are, it's not going to work."

I wanted to stop them, but something in Sam's eyes made me stay away. It reminded me of his scary personality this morning. All I could do was watch as the two of them challenged each other.

"Trust me," Sam replied, venom dripping from his words. "If I wanted to threaten you, I'd make it a lot more...physical."

"Yes, because we both know what happened the last time you got physical with someone," Mr Buckle said dryly. He looked at me, and I found myself staring back at him. We were only looking at each other for a split second, though, before Sam stepped between us and blocked Mr Buckle's view of me. I couldn't see either of their faces anymore.