Chapter 45

Chapter 45

There was a light knock on the door. "Come in," I called, putting down my book, and sitting up in my bed. The door creaked open, and Max stood in the doorway, two mugs in his hands, both steaming.

"You busy?" He asked, kicking the door shut behind him.

"No," I said, shuffling over on the bed so he could sit.

"Hot chocolate?" He offered, handing me one of the mugs.

"Isn't it a little hot for that?" I asked.

Max opened his mouth in mock offense. "Molly Elizabeth Canner," He said, putting emphasis on each word. "There is not a moment in a persons lifetime when it's not a good time to have hot chocolate."

"But it's almost 100 degrees-"

"HEAT BE DARNED!" He said, shoving out his chest like a 1950's super hero. "HOT CHOCOLATE WILL RAIN SUPREME! HOT CHOCOLATE WILL-"

"Ok, ok," I said, between giggles. "I'll have the damn hot chocolate."

Max handed it to me, a look of pride on his face for winning me over. "You enjoying that?" He asked, nodding to my book.

"Yeah," I admitted sheepishly. It was the second Harry Potter- Max had forced me to start over the series once he found out that I had never made it past the first book.

"No one will be staying under my roof without at least basic knowledge of the masterpiece that is Harry Potter," He had told me.

"How you doing?" He asked, as I took a sip of my hot chocolate. It may not help with the heat, but Max had some pretty great hot chocolate making skills.

"Good," I said.

"My parents are warming up to you."

I raised my eyebrows. It wasn't like Max's parents had been un-welcoming- they had actually been a lot better than I had expected, his mother making sure the guest room was clean for us, and checking in on my every now and then to see if I wanted something to eat. His dad was a little more reluctant, but he wasn't rude about it. Still, it was always a little uncomfortable being around Max's parents for too long, and in the month I had been there, we had never kept up a conversation for more than a couple minutes (though the other day I had made it to 6, a personal record).

"Really?"

He nodded. "My mom commented on how polite you are. That's a good sign."

I scoffed slightly, looking into my hot chocolate.

"And they both say you're really brave," Max added, slightly softer.

"So they aren't gonna kick us out?"

Max laughed. "No. I don't think my mom would allow it actually. She might not be the best at showing it, but I can tell she likes having another girl in the house. Besides, you guys are getting better at talking."

"I guess."

Max leaned back on his hands. "Where's James?"

"He's at the park with Isabelle."

James had adjusted to the change incredibly well. A week after we arrived I had contacted Isabelle's mother again, since James had been missing his friends. After quite a bit of persuading, I had managed to convince Mrs. Mary Smith to let Isabelle see James again. And it also turned out Max's house was only 10 minutes from Isabelle's, meaning that they would meet up together almost every day- usually at a park which was almost equal distance between the two houses.

And even though Max's parents were more tentative with me they adored James. Max's mother often commented on how sweet and well behaved he was for a kid his age. Max's dad would often drive him to Isabelle's, or the park, and I had over heard him telling his wife that James was surprisingly smart. James liked both of Max's parents, mentioning, more than once, that he was glad we were staying with such nice people.

And Max and James got along like best friends. He was making him read the Harry Potter books as well, but he would read allowed to him (I sometimes liked to join them), and he was more than happy to change the channel to "Sheriff Callie," Or "Spongebob"- we had already had 2 Pixar marathons with him since arriving.

My phone buzzed from it's spot on my bedside table.

"You gonna get that?" Max asked.

"It's just Janice," I said. "I'll check it later."

Janice called or texted me everyday, and had caught me up on what I had missed while I was away- which turned out to not be much. A new girl had taken my place at Dirty Girls, and apparently she could "work the pole." Drew had proposed to Toby, and they were thinking of having their wedding in May. Janice insisted on being the maid of honor (despite the lack of a bride) and had offered to pull some strings and get me a spot as a grooms maid, which I had respectfully declined.

Janice had even started popping by Max's house- twice so far- so she could pick me up and take me out to a movie, or dinner. These were complete surprises, but a good way to get me out of the house, and I always had a lot more fun that I expected to- I had forgotten how great it was to go out with friends.

Max lay down on the blue bed spread, looking up at the ceiling. "I called the school today.

"And?" I asked, adjusting my sitting position so my legs were out in front of me.

"They'll take you in the fall."

"And the whole running away from an orphanage won't be affecting anything?"

"Well, I didn't mention that part," Max admitted. "But they didn't ask, so really who's to blame?"

I snorted. "Do you think I'll have any chance at college?"

"Well, you may have screwed up you grades this past year," Max said. "But that's why you're retaking it. Plus, if you do really well your senior year I think you'll have some decent options."

"Which means a decent future?"

Max pushed himself up on his elbows. "Which means a great future."

"Which means a stripping free, homeless free future?"

"Which means the best possible future you can imagine."

"So I'll have my own mansion and private yacht for the weekends?"

Max laughed. "You never know."

"I'll take that as a yes."

Max sat up. "Mind letting me in on this 'mansion and private yacht' future?"

"Oh trust me," I said. "I'm not letting you leave it."

"Good," Max said, leaning in to kiss me softly on the lips. I smiled agains his mouth, and giggled.

Max pulled away slightly. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing."

Max smiled at me, his nose almost bumping into mine. "You're gonna be alright, Molly."

I smiled back, his eyes just inches from my own.

"I'm gonna be alright."