Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The next morning, I had this one moment of bliss when I first woke up. It was Saturday, so my alarm didn't wake me up for once, and neither did James. My eyes just fluttered open on their own for the first time in probably over a year.

And for a moment, I felt happy. I was curled up in my blanket, and my mattress was so comfortable, and I forgot about everything that sucks in the world.

Then I remembered, I had to meet Max that day.

At the library.

And all the happiness, and calmness, was replaced by total fear. And panic. I could feel it knitting my ribs together too tight, eating away at my organs. I'd have to go back to the library. At 2:00 I'd have to go back to the library.

I called in sick at McDonald's. I spent the day watching pixar with James, and eating left over Big Macs.

As Toy Story 2 ended, James got up to change the movie in the DVR. We had a complete collection of every Pixar movie, so we had a lot to choose from.

"What next?" James asked.

"You can choose," I said, knowing very well he would choose Cars.

I opened another McDonald's container as James slip the DVD into the slot.

"So," I asked. "How's school?"

"Good." 

"How's Isabelle?"

"Good."

"You need to work on you're descriptive details," I told him, chuckling.

"My what?" James asked, taking his seat beside's me on the couch.

"Forget it," I said, as the movie started.

I was surprised to see the familiar old-fashioned new's start the movie Up. James almost always chose Cars but I decided to not mention it, not really wanting to see the movie about talking automobiles for the millionth time.

Now, I had seen Up more times than I could count. And if you have ever seen up, you too must have cried at the first 10 minutes. I have never watched through the whole thing, or even a fraction of it, with out a tear rolling down my face.

However, as the soundtrack "Married Life" Started playing- just the first few notes- I started to bawl. I cried so hard, I thought my tear ducts might fall out. I cried so hard snot came rolling out of my nose and into my mouth, and I didn't even wipe it away. I cried so hard I could feel the crying in the tips of my fingers.

The worst part was- I was crying in front of James.

James didn't hesitate. He rushed to my side, and quickly started to hug me in the way only an adorable 6 year old can. I'm not really sure how long I cried, but when I managed to wipe away the last of the tears, we had already reached the part in the movie with all the balloons. 

"Are you ok?" James whispered.

"I'm fine," I said back. My stomach hurt like I had just thrown up. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." Then I hugged him, and held him to my chest, I tried to hardest not to cry again.

I hated crying in front of James- Before things got bad, I never once saw my mom cry in front of me. And when things did get bad, and she did cry, it scared the shit out of me. My mom was supposed to be fearless, indestructible. I know that's an unfair expectation, but seeing her cry made me realize my mom couldn't protect me from all of the terrible horrible things in the world- and most of the time after that, she was the terrible horrible thing. 

I was all the James had left. And I wanted him to think I could protect him. 

Even if I couldn't even save him from half of it.

"I love you James," I said.

"I love you too."

"I want you to know I love you."

"I know."

"I love you James. You have no idea how much."

---

Oops, short chapter.

Hey thanks for reading! Please vote and comment if you liked it!

Sorry for a shorter chapter. School started last week and I have much less time to write, WHICH I HATE SO FREAKING MUCH!!! But I'm trying to still make time for it. 

Thank you so much everyone reading this. I can't believe we're almost at 6,000 reads/veiws/whatevers.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes.

XOX