Chapter 35

Chapter 35

I left the backroom, and started speed walking across the floor, tripping slightly in my high heels. Some guy held up his hand motioning for me to come over. I blasted past him, trying to make it backstage without crying. I ripped through the velvet curtain separating the club from backstage, tears stinging my eyes. 

The girls backstage shot me looks as I stumbled to my locker, kicking off my heels as I went. I pulled down my thong, and replaced it with my own cotton underwear. I pulled at my bra straps until I heard a tearing sound, ignored it, and shoved my own bra on. I threw on my shirt and jeans, grabbing my purse and burst out of the back door.

My skin prickled in goosebumps as the cold air engulfed me. I wrapped my arms around myself as I crossed the back lot. I was shaking and shivering, gasping for air.

I was also crying.

Hard. Tears overflowed behind my eyes, spilling over my cheeks. My throat was caught, closing in on itself like a rope wrapped around my neck. I felt like my skull was shrinking, strangling my brain. I couldn't do anything. I could barely breath. I just kept walking, and choking on my tears, and trying to push past the wind, and the cold, and make it back to where ever the fuck I had to be.

I did this until I reached the apartment. I stopped before going in, trying to pull myself together. I took a deep breath, and pulled my keys out of my bag.

"Molly!" James cried as the door opened. He ran into the room in a blur, wrapping his little arms around my thighs. I was so happy to see him I almost started crying again.

"Hey James," I said, crouching so I was at eye level.

"You're back early!"

"Yeah, I am."

His smile faltered slightly. "Are you ok?"

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine." I tried to smile wider.

James didn't look convinced, but didn't question it. "Wanna go watch Spongebob?"

"Yeah, I do. Want me to grab some ice cream?"

James nodded, and ran into the living room. I grabbed a couple pints of ice cream, wiped my eyes again, and followed James.

I sat on the couch next to him. "Chocolate or Mint?"

"Chocolate."

I handed him the ice cream, and he nestled into me as the show started. His head rested on my shoulder, his knees on my thigh. I lay my cheek against the top of his head. His hair smelled like rosemary, and felt softer than silk.

The show started as I pried open my ice cream. "How's school going?"

"It's ok. How's work?"

I giggled. "You sound more mature than a lot of adults."

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I do?"

"Well, a lot of adults would talk about video games and stuff instead of work."

James shrugged. "Is it good?"

"Work?"

He nodded.

"It's fine. I mean, it's work."

James was quiet, sucking on his spoon, making loud slurping noises. I ignored it.

We watched Spongebob until I felt so tired I couldn't even keep my eyes open, and my head rolled around on my shoulders like my neck was a spring. James feel asleep, his head nestled in my shoulder. I knew I should carry him to bed, but I was so tired, I was pretty sure I would pass out trying to take 2 steps.

So, I fell asleep with my head rested on his, like a pillow. 

I dreamed about chocolate and pizza.

I woke up to the sound of the door thrown open, and lights flashing on. I shielded my eyes from the light, pulling my knees to my chest. 

I hugged James closer, a little bit too tight. I could here his breath, fast and frantic, and feel his speeding heart beat against mine. I was shaking, my mind rushing with possibilities of what was happening. Psycho murderer seemed like the most likely option.

"Who's there?!" I yelled, my voice shaking. "Who's in my house?!"

---

So hungry...

Hi there! Thank you for reading! If you liked it, please vote comment and follow.

My computer is such shit I swear to god, this has nothing to do with anything but I swear I hate it so much, and I want to rant.

Ok.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes.

I loves alls of you peoples.

XOX