Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The bus was almost completely empty. No one but the bus driver, a homeless guy sitting in the very back, Janice, and me.

After paying, we walked awkwardly down the isle. The bus started again before we could sit down, causing both of us to jerk backwards, and take a seat in the middle of the bus. 

The bus moved on, making a small rumble as the wheels rolled over the ground. We sat in an uncomfortable silence. Janice spoke first.

"So, you like working at Dirty-Girls?"

I would have been embarrassed if there had been more people on the bus. Actually, I was still embarrassed.

"It's ok, I guess. I don't really have any other experience to compare it too. Except for McDonalds."

Janice nodded. "I've been working there for a little over 2 years. Before I worked at this other place, where the guys would rip off your bras for you. That was bad."

More silence.

"So, do you live alone?"

"No," I answered, shifting around in my seat. "I live with my little brother."

"How old is he?"

"Six."

"Cool. I always wanted a little sibling. I had 3 older brothers."

Even more silence.

"So do you still go to school?"

"What?" I asked, almost leaping out of my seat.

"College? Or, high school?"

"Um... high school."

Janice nodded. "It's ok. I won't tell anyone. Not that they would care, half the girls there are under age."

"Thanks."

We spent the rest of the ride in silence, until the bus reached our stop. We reached Janice's place first. I got off with her.

"Thanks for coming with me," Janice said, fumbling for her keys in her bag.

"No problem. Maybe we could do it again sometime, I don't like being alone at night either."

Janice smiled. "It's a deal."

After exchanging phone numbers (in case one of us had to cancel or something) Janice waved and said, "See you tomorrow!"

"Bye!" I said, as I turned to walk home.

---

James was asleep. Which was good. Part of me thought he would stay up to 4 in the morning, doing shots, and getting himself killed. Which is the stupidest thing ever, since he was 6, but I worry about him.

I sat down next to him on his bed. His hair was in a mess, something that always happened, even after brushing it through for 10 minutes straight. I lightly ran my hang through it, partially trying to tame it, but mostly just in a comforting way. 

James groaned the slightest bit, and his eyelids started to flutter. "Molly?" He whispered.

"Shh!" I hushed. "Don't wake up. I just got back."

"I was, I was scared you weren't coming home."

"James," I said, running my fingers through his hair again. "I will always come home. You know that."

"Yeah," James mumbled.

"Go back to sleep," I whispered, and started to get up.

"No, Molly, wait!" James grabbed my arm. "Stay here!"

I hesitated for a moment, but then lifted up the blankets to get under the covers. James happily scooched over, as I lay down next to him.

"I love you Molly," James whispered groggily.

"I love you too James," I whispered back.

---

I woke up in the same place I had fallen asleep- In James bed, with my arm wrapped over him. I groggily sat up, and wiped some drool from my mouth. The sun was shining through the window next to his bed. "What time is it?" I whispered to myself. 

I got up, quietly, not to wake up James, and went into the kitchen. My eyes ajusted to the light, and I read the time on the clock.

"Not again!" I moaned, and ran back into James room.

"Wake up!" I said, pulling at his arm.

"Wha-"

"I'm gonna be late again, for like, the 4 time in 2 weeks! Get dressed!"

James sprung into action, racing for his dresser. I ran back into my room, and evaluated the clothes I had slept in. They were a bit wrinkled, and smelled the tiniest bit, but I think I could pull it off. I pulled my messy hair into a pony tail, grabbed my purse, and for what felt like the millionth time, sprinted out the door.

After dropping James off with Mrs. Copper (Who, thank god, wasn't ignoring us anymore) I reached McDonalds. I walked it and looked at the clock. I had made it! With a minute and 23 seconds to spare! I had a mental victory dance, and headed over to the fryer.

"Glad to see you're on time for once," Cathy said, walking over to me.

"Me too," I answered with a smile.

Cathy gave me a weird look and walked away, but I didn't care. I was too busy being happy that I had finally made it to work on time!

I spent the next 10 minutes with the fries alone, until Ally reached my side.

"Hey," She said. She looked like she had just come back from a make out session with Arnold, her hair tasseled, her shirt on crooked, and her skirt hiked up.

"Hi!" I replied, still smiling.

"Mind if I have some?" Ally asked, gesturing to the fries.

"Be my guest."

"Thanks," Ally said, popping one in her mouth. "I'm starving. I spent all of last night fighting with Arnold, I didn't even get to have my 4 AM snack."

Ignoring the fact that Ally had a 4 AM snack, I asked, "What were you fighting about?"

"He was at some sleazy strip club last night. Dirty Woman or something."

I froze. Unless there was another strip club in town that had the terrible name of Dirty Woman, that meant Arnold had been at Dirty Girls the night before.

"Well, what happened?"

"I yelled at him. He also yelled. The make up sex was great though."

"Ok, too much information."

"Sorry. I'll get to grilling burgers now."

My heart was racing. Arnold went to Dirty Girls? Was this a one time thing, or did he go often? Oh god, did he recognize me?

I looked over at Arnold who was sitting in his booth, smiling at Ally. He didn't even glance at me. Good sign.

It looked like my secret was safe-

DAMMIT BLONDIE!!!

---

Hey there.

Thank you for reading, lalalal blah blah blah, soup, pasta, food, I'm hungry.

Thanks again!

XOX

PS Sorry this chapter ended on a bit of a weird note. It will all make sense with the next chapter... though you probably already get it.