Chapter 36

Chapter 36

There was the sound of shoes scuffing the ground as three flashlight beams were shot into my eyes. I hugged James tighter, and turned my head, shielding my eyes.

"Molly Canner?"

My throat was dry. I couldn't swallow, I coulnd't speak.

"Are you Molly Canner?"

It was a deep voice. A mans voice. Someone stood next to him, who I coulnd't see past the flashlights.

"Y-yes, I am."

"And is this James Canner?"

I nodded. My whole body was shaking. 

"We're gonna need you to come with us."

"Where?"

"We are with the police Ms. Canner. We're here to take you and your brother to a place suitable for living."

"But we live here!" I tried to yell, but it came out as a whisper.

"Ms. Canner."

"We live here."

"If needed to we will force you."

"No! This is our home." I choked on the last word. My brain had gone numb.

"Ms-"

"No!"

"Ok." He turned to look at the person besides him.

"NO!" I screamed. They were walking towards me now, their arms reached out, like they were going to pick me up like a baby. "NO!"

I was holding onto James so tight I might have crushed his ribs. I could feel his tears running down my arm. I realized I was crying too.

The people got closer. One reached out and grabbed my arm. I flailed my limbs kicking her in the knee. She didn't even seem phased.

The other was grabbed James, trying to pry my arms off of him. I grabbed James' curled up little body, and tried to hide him in mine, like a cocoon. I turned towards the couch, grabbing it's worn out cushions.

"NO! THIS IS OUR HOME! WE LIVE HERE! YOU CAN'T JUST TAKE US AWAY!"

James was shaking with sobs, and fear, clinging to me almost as tight as I was clinging to him. The people kept prying. I kept screaming.

And then the lady grabbed my arms, and the man grabbed James and they pried us apart.

"NO!" I screeched as loud as I could. "STOP IT! STOP IT!"

The lady had strapped hand cuffs on me and was holding me by them, her other hand on the back of my neck. "Ms. Canner, if you could just-"

"STOP IT!"

The man who grabbed James was out, gone, disappeared through the doorway. I pulled on the handcuffs, trying to follow.

"JAMES!" I yelled as loud as I could.

No response.

"Ms. Canner-"

"Why are you doing this?" I asked. I could feel the tears lodged in my throat.

She didn't answer. She just led me out of my apartment, down the stairs, outside into the night.

It was raining. Not that nice kind of drizzle where you just get a mist, and it feels refreshing, and clean, but a real rainstorm, with raindrops the size of baseballs pounding down on you like rocks. The kind that stays in puddles days after it's been over. 

I stomped through the puddles. My feet were bare, except for my socks, which were, of course, a soggy mess. The rain flattened my hair to my head, and soaked through my clothes, through my skin. I felt like I was in a car wash.

The lady led me to a police car. She opened the door, and shoved my head down as I got in. Now I coudn't tell if I was still crying, or if it was the rain.

Probably crying.

Sitting next to me was James. Well, not next to me next to me. The back seat of the police car was a bench. He sat slid all the way against his door, and as much as I wanted to slide closer to him, the lady was shooting me looks in the rear view mirror, letting me know that wasn't an option.

So I sat, still in handcuffs, looking down at my soaking feet, tears still spilling down my cheeks. I looked over at James every 30 seconds or so, just to make sure he was still there.

He was. His face was pressed against the window, with only a small stream of tears coming from his eyes. He looked out the window at the buildings we passed in a blur, looking like the saddest kid in the world.

And I knew there was nothing I could do to stop that.

---

Hi.

So, I know this whole chapter was sad and such, but I HAVE SUCH INCREDIBLE NEWS WE CAN'T BE SAD ABOUT THIS!!!

WE

HIT

50

FUCKING

THOUSAND

READS/VIEWS/WHOTHEFUCKCARES

HOLYFUCKS

Ok, so remember like 20 chapters ago, when I made decent length chapters and was just a little writer struggling to make her wattpad story about a stripper anything close to a hit? And remember when we hit 1,000 reads/views/whoknows.

Since you probably don't, here it is:

Well, it's time for a little convo with myself.

Me: Hey self!

Me: Oh hi self! What up?

Me: Well you know what happened?

Me: Why I have no idea!

Me: Oh wait, yes I do. 

Both Mes: STRIP HAS OVER 1000 FUCKING READS!!!!!

(CONFETTI AND BALLOONS AND SHIT)

Guys. GUYS. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN! WE WERE JUST AT 600 LAST CHAPTER!!! AND NOW IT'S 1000!!! THIS IS TRULY AMAZING!!!!

Like, a real milestone in your wattpad-ness though. So like, thanks. A LOT.

Ok, now imagine that TIMES 50!!!

LITERALLY!!!

OK BUT GUYS THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME THINGS THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME AND I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH IF YOU'VE STUCK WITH STRIP THIS FAR YOU ARE A TRULY AMAZING PERSON AND I  LOVE YOU YOU KEEP BEING AMAZING GOOD LORD!!!

Also, the other day, it almost got to the top 100 on teen fiction.

no but this is so great.

Ok, thank you sosososososososo much for reading though.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes.

And sorry for the longest authors note in the history of wattpad.

Like it's half the chapter.

Maybe I should have made this it's own chapter.

Naw.

Ok.

I love you.

Bye.

XOX