Chapter 30

Chapter 30

I blocked these thoughts out of my mind as I continued through the library. But I kept hearing my mother screaming at me, and my eyes kept drifting towards the place where they left me...

"Molly!"

Max was immediately shushed by a librarian, as I turned to see him sitting at a long table, surrounded by books. He quickly apologized to the librarian, and then turned back and waved to me. I put on a weak smile and waved back.

"Hey," Max said, as I took the seat besides him.

"Wow," I said, looking at all the books around us. "I just brought my biology text book."

"Well, yeah, I brought that too," Max said. "But I thought a few more books might explain the content better, and make it easier to understand."

I tried to nod, but my heartbeat was so loud it was hard for me to concentrate. 

"So, you ready to get started?"

"Um, yeah," I said turning towards the books.

And here is everything I learned:

-Max knows a lot. Like, A LOT. More than any teenager should know. 

-Library books on biology all smell even worse than the text books.

-And it turns out, you actually have to READ what they say in order to understand it, not just stare at the page.

-Max's voice is really relaxing when he reads out loud, and it honestly makes it kinda hard to concentrate.

-I can slip off my sneakers, and socks under a table, without using my hands, and without anyone noticing.

-The carpet of the library feels kinda rough, and scratchy.

-It is much harder to put back on socks and sneaker without using your hands, and without anyone noticing than slipping them off.

-The ceiling of the library has all of these very very tiny holes in them, and I wonder if that means that the floor above us has very very tiny holes is it.

-If your stomach growls so loud that it practically makes the ground shake, just apologize.

-If your stomach growls so loud that it practically makes the ground shake while a guy is asking you out, it's about 3 times more awkward.

To be fair, he wasn't really asking me out. He was kinda asking me out.

He was in the middle of explaining how fish reproduce, when suddenly he stopped, looked up at me, and said, "Do you wanna hang out some time?"

And then my stomach growled so loud it caused a mini earthquake.

"Sorry," I said, feeling my face growing bright red.

"No, it's ok-"

"I just-"

"But-"

"I-"

"Wait," Max put his hand up. "Do you want to hang out some time?"

"Uh..."

"No, it's ok," Max looked down at his hands. "I mean, I knew you would say no."

"What?"

"I mean, seriously, what was I thinking?"

"Max-"

"No, Molly, it's ok. I know you're only here because you have to."

"No I don't."

"Because Mrs. Samuels is making you."

"Max, she isn't-"

"I should go." Max started to stand up, but I reached up and grabbed his arm.

"Max. I want to hang out with you."

His face lit up like a match. "Y-you do?"

"Yes, but-"

His face fell.

"Max, I have to take care of my brother. I don't have time for regular teen things, like hanging out with friends, or spending time alone. It's a miracle I managed to get out here today." I let go of his arm and looked down. "I have to work. I'm always at school, or working, or taking care of James, and it doesn't leave much time for anything else."

"Oh."

"But I wish I could."

Max was silent. I kept looking at my feet.

There was the sound of him picking up his bag.

And there was the sound of him walking away.

After what felt like an hour, I sat up, picked up my bag, and headed home. The whole way home my mind was racing.

God, why did I say that?

Because it's true.

Why does it have to be true? Why do I have to be that teen who basically a mom.

A mom who also has to go to school.

I'm not a mom. I'm a kid.

Why the fuck was I put in this position?

I ran up the stairs past Mrs. Copper's door. I couldn't see James.

This is all her fault.

I reached my door.

Why the hell did she have to fuck everything up so much?!

I shoved the key into the lock.

If it weren't for her I would be NORMAL

I turned the knob.

I wouldn't be a stripper.

I opened the door.

This is all because of-

My mind went blank, as I stepped into the apartment. I froze. I felt like I had a tennis ball stuck in my throat. Tears welled up in my eyes. I couldn't breath.

Oh god.

"Mom?"

---

Hi there.

Hope you liked this chapter. Sorry it's kinda short. 

If you like it, please vote, comment, all that shit.

Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes.

We're so close to 10,000 reads guys! THIS IS FUCKING INSANE!!!

Thank you, so much.

XOX