Much To Learn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We didn't make it back to the cafeteria before the bell rang. We all stood in the hallway as the rest of the school flooded around us.

"This can't be happening." Robyn muttered.

"There's no way they did this." I said. "It has to be a coincidence. We'll find the tests."

"A coincidence? Don't be stupid Nat. This wasn't a coincidence! Those bitches purposely ruined my GPA. With my grades right now, I'll be lucky to pass this semester with a 2.5." Robyn yelled at me.

I nodded and bit my lip. I took a step back from her.

"We need to go. The bell's about to ring." Katelyn said quietly.

We all separated and walked away.

I spent the entire class period thinking about what had happened. I couldn't help feeling guilty for this happening to her.

All she had done was defend me. It was   my fault that she was being targeted too. I should have stood up to Brianna and Rebecca.

I was snapped out of my thoughts at the sound of the bell ringing. I looked around to find that the last of my classmates were leaving. I tried to pack everything quickly but I knew I was late.

I made my way out into the hallway and speed walked towards my class. The halls were empty by now and I walked faster, convinced that the bell was going to ring any minute.

I heard voices coming from around a corner and I sighed in relief that maybe I wasn't as late as I thought.

I stepped around the corner to find to familiar figures in a quiet conversation.

"I'm really sorry this happened, Robyn." Calvin said sincerely.

She shook her head. "It isn't your fault, Cal. Don't feel bad."

"I know. Is there anything that I can do to help?"

I was going to step out, but I didn't want to interrupt their conversation. I decided to just wait until they were done.

"Can you get the tests back to my teachers?" She asked in a joking matter, though it seemed forced.

He stayed silent and she sighed before turning and closing her locker.

"Oh, I know! Why don't you come over this weekend? I have battleship and s'mores, your favorite." He grinned widely.

"That sounds really nice, Cal, but I can't." Robyn said with genuine disappointment.

Cal's grin dropped. I leaned around the corner a little to hear better.

I know eavesdropping wasn't good, but I couldn't help it.

"I promised Trent that we could hang out this weekend." She continued.

He huffed in annoyance.

"I should've known." He said angrily.

"What does that mean?"

"Oh, come on. We haven't hung out once since he asked you out. You're always doing something with him. We used to hang out every weekend and now, I'm lucky to get a decent conversation in between classes." Calvin's voice sounded angry, but I could detect a little bit of hurt.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I didn't know they hung out every weekend.

"That's not fair, Cal. You know it's been really busy. What about the guys? You could always hang out with one of them if I'm busy." She suggested.