More Than A Memory

~ ~ ~

I collapsed onto my bed in a heap and groaned. It was just my luck that my only childhood friend was popular. He had changed so much, there was no way he'd still want to be my friend.

After I left here when I was ten, I tried to branch out and join in with the most social groups. I considered myself lucky when the prettiest girl in my middle school, Brianna, took me under her wing.

I thought it would be a good start for me, maybe I would improve my confidence a little bit, but Brianna turned out to be the worst person to have as a friend. She was no better as an enemy either. It was sort of like Mean Girls, only in the end I was the one being thrown under the bus, not literally of course.

I laid on my back and stared up at my ceiling. "Bye Andrew." I said quietly.

My mom ordered pizza that night and and we all sat at our table discussing our days. I got caught in twenty questions about the high school and everyone in it, but I avoided them all skillfully. I hopped around the unpacked boxes that covered the floor of my room.

I had been back in town for almost a week and I had plenty of time to unpack everything, I just let my lazy side take over. I jumped into my bed and eventually my mind was turned off and I was sleeping.

I woke up with a headache and squinted into the light pouring in from the curtains that I neglected to close the night before. I lifted myself out of bed and reluctantly got ready for school. I wore just a simple pair of white jeans, a black tank top and my black strappy sandals. I brushed out my hair and left it down.

I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen where my mom sat at the table drinking coffee.

"Hey mom." I said as I grabbed an apple from the fridge.

"Is that all you're going to eat?" she asked me.

"Yes." I said simply, taking a bite of the apple.

She sighed. "Alright then, come on we're late." She took a last sip of her coffee before putting her cup in the sink and walking out of the back door.

My mom drove me to school every day on her way to work and picked me up on her way home. It had been this way since I started kindergarten.

My mom was a writer for a magazine. Both my parents luckily didn't have a hard time transferring over here with their careers. My mom got on as a column writer for a magazine company in a town about thirty minutes away. She covered product reviews and weight-loss techniques.

My father got into a law firm out here, but it was about an hour away from where we lived so he had a slightly longer commute. They both agreed it was a small price to pay to be able to live in the neighborhood that they both loved so much.

When they found out that the house we'd lived in when I was a kid was for sale, they jumped at the opportunity to move back.

My mom dropped me off at school and waved eagerly as I got out of the car.

"Bye Natty, I love you!" She called and I heaved a sigh when a couple of the kids laughed at her display.

Going through my classes, I found that making my way around was a lot easier.

At lunch I made sure to stay away from the druggy table, and sat with the nerds instead. They were very welcoming and I actually ate my lunch.

They even included me in they group discussion on Pascal's triangle and how it could be used in ordinary life. It was a little beyond my thought process but I thought I followed the conversation okay.