Making Amends

For some reason after my conversation with Andrew I couldn't shake the feeling that I was about to break down. The tears kept building in my eyes and it was only a matter of time before they finally spilled over. I decided it was best if I went home before the flood gates opened, because when they did, I didn't know when they were going to close again. I took out my phone and texted my mom.

Hey Mom, you busy?

I stood in the empty hallway with my back pressed against the lockers. I leaned my head back and let out a shaky breath when my phone buzzed.

Not too busy for my favorite child. What's up?

I smiled at her text before replying.

Bad day. Can you come get me?

My legs felt weak after I pressed send and I felt myself slide down the lockers until my butt hit the floor. I tried so hard to stay strong. I hadn't felt this vulnerable since my 'friends' at my old school made me the center of a prank at one of the great parties they convinced me to go to. That was one night I avoided talking about. In fact I usually pretended it never happened. But right then, images of that night were flashing through my mind and I fought harder to hold back the tears.

It was a cold night in February and I was having a horrible time, like I always do at parties when Brianna, the leader of my group of 'friends' beckoned me outside.

These were the people I sat with at lunch and in class. I was surprised that I was actually invited tonight. It was rare for Brianna to acknowledge me long enough to even invite me to a party and whenever she did I was usually ignored pretty much the entire night.

I followed her until we were with a group of people near the pool. She said they were going to play truth or dare but they needed one more girl to make it even.

I should have known from there that something was off because with me there, it made six girls, but there were at least ten guys. Nothing even about that. But I didn't question it, I was just happy to have been included. I wish I had questioned it.

One of the guys offered me a soda and I took it since it was a closed can. They resumed their game and I took the tab on the can and pulled. Now if I had been more observant, I would have noticed their excited stares as I went to open the can, but I didn't. I mean, why should I suspect anything? These people were supposed to be my friends, right? So stupid me opened the can, only to be sprayed by the fizzed up soda shooting out of it.

I quickly turned my face the other way and held the can away from my body, but it did nothing, I was already soaked. Then the laughter came. I slowly turned to the group to see most of them with their phones out, recording the incident. It didn't stop there though, one of the guys walked up to me with a smirk and took the can from my hand and putting it on a table next to us.

"Nice shirt," he said casually, "White's a nice color on you."

The rest of the guys laughed harder as my eyes widened in realization. I looked down to find my thin white shirt completely see-through, my black bra on open display. My eyes started to fill with tears and I took a step back from them.

"Awe, now don't cry little Natalie, let me help you. You shouldn't wear wet clothes on a cold night like this." The guy said. I didn't even bother correcting him on my name, all I wanted was to go home.

I started to shake my head, shivering, when suddenly he and two other guys jumped in front of me. They circled me and on of the guys picked me up and threw me over his shoulder.