Lost My Appetite

Andrew stopped the car in front of my house and I opened the door. "Thanks for the ride." I said with a smile.

"No problem, Tally." He smiled back showing off a set of perfect teeth. He must have gotten braces after I left because I recalled him having a slight gap. "I can pick you up tomorrow morning, if you want."

"Really?" I looked at him in surprise.

"What are best friends for?" He winked and I let out a small laugh.

"Okay." I said happily.

I gave a small wave and gently closed the door. I walked up to my front door and opened it before turning around and waving again. He waved back and pulled out of my driveway.

Inside I skipped up to my room and threw myself onto my bed, my giddy laughter was the only sound filling the air. I felt amazing, more so than I had felt in a long time.

Memories of my childhood with Andrew were flooding through my mind. We used to spend every day together, it was easy since we lived right down the street from each other.

I knew that we might not have the same friendship that we used to, but knowing he didn't completely cut me out of his life was a huge relief.

Later both of my parents got home and we sat at the table eating a dinner that my mom bought on her way home. Chinese takeout was the dish of the night.

"So, tell me about your second day. Are there any cute boys?" My mom leaned towards me.

"Oh no, please don't try boy talk with me mom. It's so awkward." I played with the chow mein on my plate.

"Don't be such a prude, Natty!" She scolded me and my jaw dropped.

"I'm not a prude!" I pouted. "You sound like a teenager."

My mom leaned back in her chair, giving me a smirk. "Well one of us has to." She said.

"I act like a teenager!" I held a hand to my heart.

"Hun, you never do any teenager stuff. You never tell me about your friends, the only reason you've gone to parties was to be the designated driver. You need to get out there, make memories!" She told me seriously.

"Yeah, I know." I said with a sigh. "You know it would be a lot easier to make memories if I had my own car." I glanced up to meet her eyes. She and my dad both laughed.

"Nice try. Oh, speaking of car how was the walk home? Was it long? I really did try getting out of that meeting," she trailed off with a guilty expression.

"Mom, it's fine. I didn't even walk." She gave me a questioning look, "Andrew gave me a ride."

I looked at both of my parents. My dad froze with his fork halfway to his mouth, then slowly dropped it to his plate. I looked back at my mom. Her shocked expression slowly melted away into a knowing grin.

"Oh my gosh! How could I have forgotten?" My mom hopped up from her chair and took her plate to the sink.

"Is that the same Andrew from," he paused with a thoughtful expression.

"Yes, from elementary school. Oh and mom, you don't need to take me to school tomorrow. Andrew can give me a ride." I muttered, hoping that they would miss what I said.

I quickly finished putting my dish in the sink and retreated down the hallway towards my room. I heard my mom squealing in excitment. I rolled my eyes at her childishness.