34 ~ Just Some Slut

Sydney stood still as her eyes were set on mine.

''Sydney!" Helen cheered, jolting to the girl and embracing her.

"Hi, Grammy." Sydney smiled as she placed a kiss on Helen's cheek.

"Come and meet a friend of mine," Helen urged, grabbing Sydney's hand and pulling her towards me. "Sydney this is-"

"Octavia," Sydney interrupted.

"You two know each other?" Helen asked, looking confused.

"She's Adam's mate." Sydney replied, her hazel eyes locked with mine.

"Girlfriend," I corrected, knowing that Helen had no idea about werewolves.

"What?" Sydney asked.

"Oh honey, I know that you're a were." Helen said looking at me.

"You do?" I asked.

"Of course," she began. "I knew your mother. She used to come here often, and she told me all about you. She was worried that one day something would happen to your pack so she asked me to take care of you when it did."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked again.

"I didn't want to make it look like I was your babysitter. You seemed to trust me enough to open up to me on your own, even if you thought I had no idea about werewolves, and in your case, werecats."

"You know about that too?" I asked, and she simply nodded in response. "But you're not a werewolf, are you? You don't smell like one."

"No, I'm not." She replied.

"And she's your grandmother?" I asked, looking back at Sydney.

"Yes, my mother was human." She explained.

"So you're Adam's mate?" Helen asked looking at me. I nodded in response. "So you two broke up?" She asked Sydney.

"Yes," she replied.

"Until yesterday." I huffed.

"What did you do?" Helen asked her granddaughter, suspiciously.

"I didn't know they were mates, Grammy." She replied.

"Oh please," I snapped.

"Girls, how about you go out the back and talk about it? People are starting to stare." Helen whispered.

We nodded and walked outside to her back garden, closing the door so it was just us two.

"I didn't know, I swear." Sydney whispered.

"He told me you broke up." I replied.

"We did. But he didn't tell me why. I thought he was just sick of me, and when I saw you two together I thought he had replaced me. We've been together for three years, I knew it was only a matter of time. He's known for being a player but I thought he would be different with me. If he would have just told me you were his mate, I would have backed off." She said, staring at me with pure eyes.

"Yea it was some big secret..." I huffed. "He was just embarrassed of me."

"He had no need to be." She said. "After you pulled the whole 'shifting into a wolf ' stunt, everyone seemed sad and angry that you left. They really like you; the whole pack." She looked away.

"Don't they like you?" I asked.

"They know I'm not Adam's mate. They think I'm just some slut on the side."

"Look, I don't know why you stuck around with my mate, that's your business. But right now, I don't want him, so he's all yours." I huffed.

"He loves you," she said. I let out a fake chuckle.

"Yea right. Next you're going to tell me the sky is pink and pigs fly."

"I see the way he looks at you. Deny it all you want, I know love when I see it." She continued.

"Do you not understand that he's a cheating loser? Why would he do that to me if he 'loved me'?" I snapped. "For years I've been building up my courage, like a wall, and I am not going to let him come and just knock it down. I don't care what the Moon Goddess has to say about it. No one decides my fate but me."

"That wall of yours... It may keep out pain, but it may also keep out love." She whispered.

"That doesn't mean he deserves to be forgiven." I muttered.

"Forgiveness isn't about what people deserve." She stated.

"Why did you go out with him in the first place? He's a player, you said so yourself." The truth was, I knew why she did, but I wanted to hear it from her. I didn't trust anything Adam told me.

"I have my reasons..." She said, not giving me an explanation.

"You can tell me. I mean, I get it if you don't want to, but who am I going to tell? I don't have anyone to tell." I encouraged. She let out a small sigh.

"We have a lot in common, me and the Alpha." She said. "My father, he was very abusive. I don't know if Adam told you, and I don't know if I should either, but his father was too. He saved me from mine, so I promised I would be there for him until his mate comes along." I could see a small tear forming in her eyes. "Even though I always knew we were never mates, we shared our moments."

"Do you love him?" I asked.

"Yea," she said, letting her tear fall. "But in a strange way. Love is stupid, twisted and ridiculous. It makes us sick, haunts our dreams and destroys our days. It's like a disease. Thank the Goddess we're not human, 'cause I don't know how I would handle myself if I didn't know I had a mate out there waiting for me."

"Look, I'm sorry." I said, placing my hand on her shoulder. "I thought you were some over-protective bitch trying to hold onto my mate. I was wrong. I'm sorry."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I mean, join the rest of the people who think so. I guess that's what made me stay with him. Even though I knew everyone hated me, he still made sure everyone respected me in front of him. Always made sure to protect me."

I gave her shoulder a small squeeze, and even though I had no idea what she was going through, I respected her. Even if it made me a bit jealous to think about my mate protecting her.

"Look, I came here because I needed some time to myself, which I usually spend helping Grammy. So I'm gonna go..." She began.

"Wait," I stopped her. "How come I've never seen you around here?" I asked.

"I guess it was never our destiny to meet," she replied, turning around and walking back to the cafe.

I slowly breathed in, then exhaled out, trying to calm my nerves. I got a sudden whiff of a scent...

Where's it coming from?! Nika howled in my mind.

The wolf. Lana hissed, meaning Sydney.

"Stop!" I suddenly shouted, causing Sydney to turn around. I walked up to her and took a deep sniff.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Why do you smell like my brother?" I asked.

--------------------------------------------

So a lot of you have been saying that you were not able to read this chapter. Basically what happened is I posted it by mistake and it was unedited and half written. So I quickly deleted it so I could go back to editing and writing it. I'm super sorry for any inconveniences, and hope you liked it!

Please vote if you enjoyed it, comment if you have anything to say and follow me! :)

- Maja x