39 ~ More Problems

"Octavia!" Sydney called when she noticed me approach her. "We have a slight problem. It's Pup."

I instantly ran towards her and jolted into the cottage, not bothering with the strange looks I was getting from people who were having lunch. They all whispered and looked at me with shocking expressions since I was dragging two squirrels which were tied to my belt.

"What's wrong? What happened? Is she okay?" I bombarded Sydney with questions.

"Shh," she hushed. "Quiet down, or you'll wake her." I paused before swinging the door open to reveal the staircase I had recently found out about.

"Go look for yourself," she said. "But keep it down."

I jogged down the stairs and what I saw almost made me fall flat on my face in surprise.

In Pup's basket lay a little girl, not older than three. She breathed heavily with a small curve at her lips.

"What the..." I trailed off.

"I put the puppy in it's-"

"Her." I corrected.

"Right - Her basket so she would sleep. After half an hour of snoozing I went to check up on her and well..." She explained.

"So she's a were." I stated. "But how? She doesn't smell like one."

"Maybe because she's so young." Sydney reasoned. "Many children have been shifting at surprisingly young ages in Adam's pack. The Elders think it's because they feel comfortable, and that it is our species adapting."

I nodded in understanding, her reasoning making sense. "But why would she shift in her sleep?" I asked.

"That's what I've been trying to figure out."

"Can't we go to an Elder for help? Maybe they know what to do..."

Werewolves live a very long period of time. After puberty a werewolf ages one year for every ten. So whereas I was twenty four, I looked about nineteen. In theory, we could live up to seven hundred years, but many get killed or die before. However, those who live more than five hundred years become Elders. They become highly respected among all weres, regardless of the pack, due to their superior wisdom.

"You think an Elder will welcome a werecat with open arms? And me for that matter? They're helpful but they don't help just anyone. Besides, we have other problems to deal with right now. I'm sure they will be happy to help you once you become Luna."

At this I couldn't help but let out a snicker.

"Right. Luna." I rolled my eyes.

"You have to face your reality," she whispered, aware of the sleeping child. "Your destiny is to be the Luna of Adam's pack. You can't just ignore your fate."

"I'm not ignoring it," I hushed back. "I'm just putting it off for a while. Making him work for what he wants, and not just hand it to him."

"You don't understand what you're missing. Adam is one of the most caring people I know. But he is also one of the most complicated. He doesn't know how to work around the whole mate thing-"

"Why are you defending him?" I hissed. "Last time I checked he lied and used you too."

"I don't know... He's just done so much for me. He used to be more like a friend than a boyfriend."

After many minutes of awkward silence, I decided to try talk to the little girl asleep only a few meters in front of us. I silently walked up to the basket, and slowly shook her.

"Hey, Sweetie." I cooed. The naked child took in a sharp breath and in an instant she was gone, a wolf pup replacing her. Pup yawned and licked my nose after opening her eyes.

"Good morning," I smiled. "Look what I brought you." I held up the animals I had caught. She quickly started to devour the food, eager for some meat.

"Strange..." I heard Sydney mumble from behind me.

"You're telling me." I stated.

"Now onto another problem," she continued. "You were at Adam's pack."

Dammit I knew she would smell me.

"Yea," I replied.

"And...?"

"And nothing."

"I find that hard to believe since you smell of Robin and Ryan."

"We just talked."

"About?"

"Is it any of your business?!" I shouted, startling the eating pup.

"Well yes, since we are supposed to be a team!"

"Says who?!" I snapped.

"Your brother." She hissed. Well that shut me up. "So what did you talk about?" She asked again.

"They asked where I was staying and when I was coming back."

"You told them where you are?!"

"No of course not, how stupid do you think I am? It's a surprise they havn't found us already anyway. But I told them I would be back... With you."

"Why would you tell them that?!"

"Stop snapping at me!" I raged. "I don't know I just felt the need to be dramatic!" At this she let out a loud sigh.

"Well we're not going anywhere." She stated. "Because in a couple of days we're getting your family out of that hell hole."

"Girls?" I turned my head to see Helen holding a tray of food. "I made you some pasta."

"You shouldn't have," I smiled.

"What, and let you eat raw meat?" She shook her head. "Not under my roof. You need to be full of energy for when you free your family."

"You sound very sure of yourself," I said.

"Why wouldn't I be?" She asked. "You're very much like your mother, and she always succeeded when she put her mind to it."

"Let's hope so," Sydney muttered.

"So what happens if we don't succeed?" I asked Sydney.

"I havn't planned that part out yet," she shrugged.

"That's great." I said, shaking my head.

"Just help me lay the table," she instructed.

---------------------------------------------

Please vote if you enjoyed it, comment if you have anything to say and follow me! :)

- Maja x