42 ~ Show Time

We had just finished eating, and I was playing tug of war with Pup while Sydney went over our strategy for the millionth time. She tugged hard at the rope while growling, surprised when I pulled roughly, sending the rope went flying from her mouth. A sudden thought hit me just as Sydney finished speaking.

"Look, I don't want to bring up the past or anything," I began.

"That's never a good way to begin a statement," she cut in.

"I'm just curious," I explained. "Did you try to fuck my mate, whilst knowing that Sam is yours?"

She fell silent for a moment. I saw her trying to figure out what exactly to tell me, as she searched the room for anything to look at but me.

"You don't have to tell me if you do't want to," I reassured before swearing at the wolf cub nipping at my fingers.

"No, no. I'll spill," she said. "I'm not gonna say I enjoyed it, because I didn't. Before meeting Sam, I genuinely thought I was in love with Adam." I let out a low growl of jealousy, causing her to let out a faint laugh. "But when I found your brother locked up, my feelings changed. Being around Adam felt so wrong, so revolting, but I was so desperately trying to make things look fine that I may have come off a bit whoreish.

Also, the fact that my mate was locked up was so frustrating to me. I kept over thinking things and ending up in heaps of sobs. I tried to tell Adam, but when you showed up he never really wanted anything to do with me. I don't blame him, the thought of me sleeping beside him revolted me so much I even moved out of his room. He didn't seem to mind so her never asked any questions. All I wanted was my mate, and I would do anything to get him off my mind. So when Adam asked me to join him in bed, I was hopeful that it would work to get Sam out of my head. It was awkward, being around Adam, and I noticed he was unwilling. So I flipped at him because I didn't understand why he didn't want me. It felt like I couldn't get any guy, you know?" She looked down at the floor, blushing slightly.

"Yea, I totally understand." I mumbled, trying not to get too angry. I got where she was coming from, you make mistakes when you're desperate. But it was my mate she almost slept with. And that thought was too hard to just bury. "Just wished you didn't almost sleep with my mate."

"I didn't know you were mates, Octavia, I swear." She stated. "If I knew, I would have backed off instantly." I smiled at her. As pissed off I was at what had happened, I believed her. Don't ask me why, but I believed her.

And I tried not to think about the fact that they probably already had slept together. That was just too much to handle, and I would risk exploding.

"We better get going," I mumbled as I looked at the clock on the wall. It was 5 o'clock, and since it was the middle of October, the sun had started setting quite quickly. Sydney nodded, and I placed Pup in her basket, carrying her with us upstairs. Helen had promised to take care of her whilst we were out.

"Here we go," I said to Helen, handing her the basket. Pup licked Helen's hand, recognizing the woman. I hadn't told her about Pup shifting, because I hadn't thought about it much. But I made a mental note to tell her later on. "Hope it's not too much trouble."

"Of course not!" She chirped. "People around here have gotten used to her!" Just as she said so an old man approached to pet her.

"Hello there," he smiled. I instantly felt Nika become protective over her baby, and I couldn't help the growl that escaped my lips. I quickly smiled innocently when the man stopped to stare at me, trying to cover up my animalistic ways.

"You've become quite the mother figure," Helen whispered, knowing that I would hear her. I blushed, slightly embarrassed.

"We should go," Sydney said as she nodded her head towards the window. "I told Cooper we would meet him before sunset." I nodded and we made our way out the door.